We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

Which Mont-Saint-Michel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help. We are hoping to visit Mont-St-Michel next week and I am finding the offical website on tide times a little confusing. Are the signs and advice on parking posted in English as well as French?

Many thanks

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

Mt st michel is not a real island, it is connected with a route causeway, then no problem for parking even when tide is high.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

Hmm..

A strange reply from marclm.

There can be problems if you leave your car on the parking lot when it gets covered by the tide.

Next week there is no danger. When there is a risk of the parking being covered there are signs up.

Edited: 18 August 2010, 23:33
Rennes, France
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

cpmac you are supposed to be a normandy expert and you dont even know mont st michel is a peninsula with car parks located on the causeway itself?

I need to say , when tide is high parking is opened on the dike itself. Anyway you ve got a service from the mont st michel district ready for helping you when you re on place. When cpmac says "next week no danger", he should say no danger at aany time for reason explained above.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

you will have some more details here:

projetmontsaintmichel.fr/parkings_actuels.ht…

Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

I have seen the causeway COMPLETELY covered by water and MSM cut off from the land - as an Island.

Cars are at risk if parked in the wrong place on the causeway at the wrong time - we had a thread here only last week about a car being submerged!!

cpmac is correct, tide times will be well posted at the causeway and warning signs will be OUT if the tide is going to be high at normal 'tourist' times.

Next week, clearly, the tides are low during daytime.

I'd believe cpmac - the man on the spot, not some smarty-pants from the other side of the world.....

Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g196646-i946-k38…

Submerged car thread ^^

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

Please do not disturb readers telling strong lies...

I confirm mt st michel is not an island since this route causeway built 150 years ago !! this causeway is NEVER covered, even when equinoxial tides.

watch this pix which proves mont is a peninsula thanks to the mt st michel tourist office website link ot-montsaintmichel.com/en/phototheque.htm.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

sorry this link is not working so well, but type their website adress and click on their "photo gallery" where you will see several pix showing the causeway during those high tides

Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

MSM is only 'not an island' by dint of the fact of a MANMADE causeway, not a natural feature.

I'm really trying not to get into any arguements on TA lateley, but marc.lm is really getting my pre-sale mouton!!

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Parking at Mont-St-Michel

marclm / Lemeilleir /DeLat, whether he's in Bankok, Paris or Rennes, is right and wrong.

The Mount is not an island as it is connected by the causeway. The main car parks are lower than the causeway and are often covered, and as a poster mentioned recently cars do get drowned out if the driver is careless enough to ignore warnings. But next week there's no danger..

When the current project is terminated the Mount will become an island again. The dike will be removed and a bridge will take the place of it. The flush system will hopefully clear awy all th esilt in th ebay and deposit it on th ebeach of St John Thomas which is akready pretty gungy

With 3000000 people taking the shuttle, ca va être un vrai bordel. But then there will be noquestion of carparks being flooded.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 05:02