We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swiss rail pass

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
swiss rail pass

my wife and I are traveling around Switzerland for 5 days. What type of rail pass should we purchase?

8 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,793 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swiss rail pass

We have no idea! You need to sit down and make a list of the public transportation you will be using or think you will be using - for example, in addition to trains from city to city, will you be using trains that go up onto the mountains (pass gives you a discount), will you be traveling together (saver pass), will you be using the daily cost of the pass every day (if not, a flexi pass), etc. You need to sit down with a large piece of paper and add up the point =-to-point costs of your various journeys (you'll see below how to do that), look at the daily cost of various passes or discount cards and then choose.

First, the Swiss Rail website had the cost for most transportation in Switzerland. Put in the depart and arrive information and when the various times come up, choose the fare option. That will take you to a booking page but you just do a dummy booking using any info you like. BE sure to put in "no reduction" in the box because any fares you see without going through all of this are almost guaranteed to be highly discounted half fares because most Swiss residents have a half fare card if not a full pass. Round trip is exactly double the one way fare. The website will give you the fares on the mountain railways as well as on the lake boats, etc. and that's why you should try to put together a list of the activities you want to do. Once you get the full point-to-point fares then start working on passes or discounts. Be sure to consider, for example, if you are taking a train from Zurich to Lucerne where the fare is only 24 francs in 2nd, is the rail pass cost for a day more than that fare? Many of us here find that a half fare card works out best but the only way is to do the maths.

www.sbb.ch/en

Please ask if you need help going through the process. Hope this helps

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swiss rail pass

Hi Kileysmon,

1) We are a family of 5. With one kid of 8 yrs and 2 seniors of age over 70. Would like to go to Interlaken from Zuirch ariport. From Interlaken we have a plan to visit Jungfraujoch, Lucerne, Broc, Gruyeres etc. by 4 days. after that from Interlaken to Paris. Which Swiss Pass/card is perfect for us? There are 4 kind of cards/passes, I am confused. Kindly suggest.

2) My mother of 71 years old and she had the knee replaced couple of years back. She can walk but it would be tough to walk hills or more ups and down.

3) My daughter wants to play with Ice.

What we have planned-

Day 1 : Zurich to Inetrlaken Ost by train >> Hotel check in and walk around

Day 2 : Ineterlaken Ost to Jungfraujoch by train >> Full day >> (Snow Fun park with entry level skiing and snowboarding , Glacier zip-line, Ice tunnels below the glacier ,Alpine Experience – a moving walkway through lights, music, and displays)

Day 3: Ineterlaken Ost to Lucerne by train >>

Day 4 : Interlaken Ost to Broc-Fabrique by train>> Visit a chocolate factory

Day 5: Interlaken to Paris via Basel by train

Will appreciate your help, tips and suggestions.

Best Regards.

Kindly help me with your advice.

aponahsan@gmail.com

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,793 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swiss rail pass

Hi, my post above explains how to calculate the cost of the point-to-point tickets and then determine which of the possible rail passes or discount cards works best. There is no way other than to do the math yourself. The child will travel free with a parent once you get the family card. There is no discount for senior citizens visiting Switzerland

None of the Swiss Rail products will cover the trip from the border to Paris. The best fare are about 90 daysin advance and the following website can help you to get those

www.seat61.com

Most visitor activities are also on a website for the Swiss Tourism office so you can also get price and any discount information for passes through that website or its links to the activity

www.myswitzerland.com

Hope this helps you to get started!

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swiss rail pass

@kileysmom,

Thank you very much. It helps us a lot.

One more question: if I need to buy a half fare card, do I need to buy 5 separate cards or there is any family half fare card? Sorry!

Regards.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,793 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: swiss rail pass

One for each adult. See:

sbb.ch/en/…swiss-halffare-card.html

and click on details.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swiss rail pass

Hi ! For day three, travelling from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne and back the same day will be taxing. You will have very less time to do any worthwhile sightseeing. Better cover some other site in BO area itself.

You can also explore Schillthorn but go via Stechelberg. That way, your mother will have to walk less.

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: swiss rail pass

We (My husband and myself) have a 11-12 days travel plan from London to Switzerland, Italy, Paris and back to India. I heard that EuroRail pass will not work in London.

Which pass will suit us(2 people) best? Will flexi pass help here to cover rest of the places (except London)? Please suggest

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: swiss rail pass

Hi SoniaGarg ! It would be better if you start a new thread.

At the outset, it seems that you do not have more than 4-5 days in Switzerland. Please work out your rough cut itinerary and post it for better suggestions. Meanwhile, please visit sbb.ch/en and swisstravelsystem.com for Swiss rail passes and their descriptions.

Reply to: swiss rail pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Schonried
Recent Conversations