We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matlock or Matlock Bath or somewhere else

Manchester
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Matlock or Matlock Bath or somewhere else

I want to visit the area in August and need to book a B&B or Hotel somewhere around Matlock or Matlock Bath

I'm looking for an area around there that has easy access to things to see during the day time (walks etc) but also something to keep me entertained at night time (pubs, late bars, nightclubs etc).

Where would be the best place to stay?

Does anyone know where has a decent nightlife around that area?

Mentioned in this post
Matlock Bath
Matlock Bath
Matlock, UK
7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Matlock or Matlock Bath or somewhere else

Derby, Chesterfield or Sheffield!! I think coming from Madchester you may find it all rather a little bit mellow and rather back-ward.

Mentioned in this post
Derby
Derby
Derbyshire, UK
Chesterfield
Chesterfield
Derbyshire, UK
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matlock or Matlock Bath or somewhere else

Yes, it's Sheffield for you though the nightlife is not as lively as during university term time.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matlock or Matlock Bath or somewhere else

I'd go for Matlock Bath; it has a seaside feel with plenty of pubs and places to eat of an evening, especially during the summer. It is not really a nightclub kind of town; Chesterfield or Mansfield are probably you're closest clubbing centres.

During the day you can walk up to the Heights of Abraham or head out on to the Peak District.

Mentioned in this post
Matlock Bath
Matlock Bath
Matlock, UK
Chesterfield
Chesterfield
Derbyshire, UK
Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,370 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Matlock or Matlock Bath or somewhere else

It's really an area noted for the beautiful landscape and pretty villages, rather than nightlife.

We've noticed that Matlock Bath is a mecca for motor cyclists, especially at weekends. It's a pretty place, but I can't remember much of a night life, apart from pubs. It's surrounded by lovely countryside and pretty villages.

If you're into historical connections in some of the villages, you'll be able to see some of the well dressings which take place all around the area:

sinfin.net/welldressing/photo.php?year=2011

http://www.welldressing.com/print.php

Another place which might be of interest to you is Bakewell; again, pubs in the evenings, but can be quite lively at weekends.

Mentioned in this post
Matlock Bath
Matlock Bath
Matlock, UK
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Matlock or Matlock Bath or somewhere else

Matlock Bath to me is a pretty little place for just chilling with loads of fish & Chips Shops and A Proper Bikers Paradise, Very pretty veiws of lovley houses up on the rock edges matlockbath is the best place out of the two places matlock town.

Mentioned in this post
Matlock Bath
Matlock Bath
Matlock, UK
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Matlock or Matlock Bath or somewhere else

Wendy - I fear that you are five years too late.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Matlock or Matlock Bath or somewhere else

Sheffield. Then get the train out to Edale for some fantastic walking. There's someone on facebook who posts amazing photos ' Kinder Scout'. I found them really useful when I visited a while ago.

Reply to: Matlock or Matlock Bath or somewhere else
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Matlock
Recent Conversations