We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info about Matlock illuminations please

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Info about Matlock illuminations please

I'm hoping to visit one saturday evening soon to see the illuminations and wondered if anyone can give me a little advice.

While looking up starting times etc, I realised that there are tickets for sale for this - have to admit i'd thought it was a free event with it being lights and fireworks on the river. Is it worth getting a ticket or can you just watch it from the streets anyway and are tickets available to buy on the day. I don't really want to book in advance but just to take a drive down one weekend when the weather seems ok.

Also, advice about parking would be useful. Visiting a few years ago I think i parked a little outside town near the river and walked down but I'm guessing parking might be more restricted when this event is on?

Thank you for any advice you can give

7 replies to this topic
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Info about Matlock illuminations please

Re Parking, a Park & Ride service runs to the illuminations from Matlock Town and Cromford - easier than trying to find a parking space in Matlock Bath itself.

Phil-the-Bus

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Info about Matlock illuminations please

Thank you Phil

Beaminster
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Info about Matlock illuminations please

Hello, it is a ticket event only. You cannot see the illuminated boats from the street, they are in the gardens. Remember they are not huge boats, they are decorated rowing boats, but even so, they look amazing.

In the gardens there are refreshments, a band playing on the bandstand, a small fairground for kids and a couple of stalls.

The fireworks are not every weekend, so make sure that you have the right weekend before you go.

A lot of people go to the illuminations and parking is a nightmare. Get to Matlock bath early and enjoy a few hours there first.

We went this year and myself and my children really enjoyed the evening.

Beaminster
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Info about Matlock illuminations please

Hello, it is a ticket event only. You cannot see the illuminated boats from the street, they are in the gardens. Remember they are not huge boats, they are decorated rowing boats, but even so, they look amazing.

In the gardens there are refreshments, a band playing on the bandstand, a small fairground for kids and a couple of stalls.

The fireworks are not every weekend, so make sure that you have the right weekend before you go.

A lot of people go to the illuminations and parking is a nightmare. Get to Matlock bath early and enjoy a few hours there first. Park near the Matlock bath railway station and walk down.

We went this year and myself and my children really enjoyed the evening.

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Info about Matlock illuminations please

Matlock is a funny old place, feels like a crappy seaside but with out the sea.

Tamworth, United...
1 post
6. Re: Info about Matlock illuminations please

thinking of going to see illuminations with my grandchildren looking for a reasonable campsight near also how much for tickets thankyou on the 1 oct

Essex
Level Contributor
31,737 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Info about Matlock illuminations please

Answers to everything you have asked can be found here:

visitpeakdistrict.com/Matlock-Bath-Matlock-B…

derbyshiredales.gov.uk/things-to-do/92-whats…

Reply to: Info about Matlock illuminations please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Matlock
Recent Conversations