We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moyne Abbey

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
40 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Moyne Abbey

Would anyone know if there are any restrictions regarding visiting Moyne Abbey, car parking or crossing fields etc. Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,754 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moyne Abbey

I parked near the widest pull off & walked a few minutes to the Gate, climbed over & walked down the lane where the farmer was placing new fencing (for the cattle), I asked permission & off I went. stayed about 1.5 + hours.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moyne Abbey

There weren't the last time that I visited, but that was in October of 2012.

www.sacredlandscapes.ie/moyne-abbey.html

Nearby Rosserk Friary might also appeal: mayo-ireland.ie/en/…rosserk-abbey.html

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
40 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moyne Abbey

Thank you very much, for your quick reply it is very helpful, I shall do the same when I go next week. Regards Jerry.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,754 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moyne Abbey

Remprimo,

I make numerous visits throughout the year to the area. I drove a friend there Mid - November 2017 and we could not access the Gate as a large SUV was parked blocking all access to the gate. I returned the end of November 2017 and once again a climb & hoist over the metal gate and I was on the muddy / cow patty filled lane to the Abbey.

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 07 June 2018, 03:01
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
40 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moyne Abbey

Thanks for the websites, very informative.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,754 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moyne Abbey

Jerry,

If you have access to google maps do add Rathfran Abbey to your list, near the Rathfran Abbey are two Rathfran Stone Circles, you can view with binoculars / camera lens, or climb over the stone wall, a bit of a drop off, very uneven terrain and the area has quite a bit of nettles around both sites. Just off the R314 is the Rathfranpark Wedge tomb, again not to be missed, though one has to be very cautious with the terrain.

Kesh_grammy

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
40 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moyne Abbey

Thanks again Kesh grammy

Will have a search for these as well.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moyne Abbey

Wow! I wonder if it's a new landowner? In Oct of 2012, we drove right up to the side of the Abbey, with the river just a short bit away. Had the place totally to ourselves. My wife though the place moody and a bit eerie.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,754 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moyne Abbey

Remprimo,

The same folks I have said hello to over the years, when I see anyone who's land I am entering I look out to greet them and ask permission. I know in Mayo & Sligo many property lines have now been electrified. The friend that was with me agreed that we thought it was a visitor who took the spot & used their vehicle to get over the fence, don't know why they had to block the stone steps as well, (which were a bit unsteady last time I used them).

Kesh_grammy

County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moyne Abbey

It is moody and eerie! I camped there with my friends when I was 15. We couldn't sleep as we were really scared of the animal sounds within the abbey in the dead of the night. We never asked anyone for permission.

Reply to: Moyne Abbey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ballina
More Ballina Topics