We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Kinsale

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Accommodation in Kinsale

We are planning to drive from Kilkenny to Kinsale around the 5th or 6th May. Is it wise to book accommodation ahead for Kinsale?

We are then intending to do drive clockwise around Ireland (including Northern Ireland) until we depart Dublin on the 31 May.

In general, is May a busy time in Ireland and is it necessary to book accommodation ahead at this time of the year?

We would appreciate any advice.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
389 reviews
1. Re: Accommodation in Kinsale

Early May is not the busiest time of the year, but it is busy. Kinsale in particular is busy most of the year. I'd book ahead for Kinsale. A general "rule" of thumb is to book your first few nights and last few nights. In between these times you can "wing it"

With regards "winging it", be prepared to have to spend some time finding a place that suits you and your budget, and be prepared to sometimes having to take whatever is available. If you are not fussy this will not be an issue.

Accommodation providers prefer guests who stay for more than one night (at least two) because their profit is made on night two, so keep that in mind when booking in. It might mean the difference between getting a bed or not ! In any case you should try and stay at each basecamp for at least 2 nights and day trip from there.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
2. Re: Accommodation in Kinsale

Thanks for the information and advice Bryno.

I am still planning our route and wanted to have a flexible accommodation plan (as far as possible), because we

didn't want to rush things.

Thanks again.

Regards, Thomas.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,953 posts
3. Re: Accommodation in Kinsale

If your Kinsale dates are a Friday or Saturday I'd be inclined to book.

Sunday to Thursday, wing it.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
4. Re: Accommodation in Kinsale

Thanks lordkimmage, I thought that this might be the case with Kinsale.

What about Kenmare, Killkarney or Dingle? Should we book ahead if we decide to stay at any of these places on a Friday or Saturday night?

Much appreciate any advice.

Regards Thomas.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,953 posts
5. Re: Accommodation in Kinsale

In May, you'll always get somewhere.

Might not be your first choice though.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
6. Re: Accommodation in Kinsale

Thanks for your reply lordkimmage, we are very excited about our forthcoming driving tour of your country.

Take care, Thomas.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,953 posts
7. Re: Accommodation in Kinsale

You might enjoy this decent central restaurant.

www.maxs.ie/

Booterstown, Ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Accommodation in Kinsale

I have stayed in Thierneys Guesthouse in Kinsale. I can recommend that.

http://h.priceline.com/hotel/ie/tierneys-guesthouse-on-main-street.nl.html?aid=850814;label=tierneys-guesthouse-on-main-street-53a9bFDj*qAdxQMKXiA1rQS82124463564:pl:ta:p1:p2:ac:ap1t2:nes:fi:tikwd-16107110913:lp9047192:li:dec:dm;ws=&gclid=CMCd4oCi9NICFeiT7QodEdEGiA

9. Re: Accommodation in Kinsale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2018, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Kinsale
Recent Conversations