We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September visit

Chandler, Az
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
September visit

Hello,

My husband and I will be traveling from the Sligo area through County Leitrim and County Cavan to Navan.

Any advice on the attractions a retired couple would enjoy will be greatly appreciated. My ancestors are from County Leitrim so we will be visiting Parkes Castle and other related sites.

Thanks for your help. Have a great weekend.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September visit

Yes I would certainly reccomend Parkes castle and there is a boat cruise 'Rose of Innisfree' on Lough Gill over the summer months that you might like. Also while in Sligo to visit the historic Lissadell House and Drumcliff where W.B. Yeats is buried.

The N16 route to Blacklion is a good route to take, there is the McNean Restaurant/B&B which is owned by celeb chef Neven Maguire. This whole area is rich in biodiversity so you can take your pick if you like going underground there is the Marble Arch Caves which is an unforgettable experience with Florencecourt gardens nearby. There is also a scenic route over the Cuilcagh mountains to see where the River Shannon ( Shannon-pot) rises out of the ground, well worth seeing if you don't mind a walk over the rough burren land. The views from up here are spectacular and on a clear day you have clear views into all the surrounding counties.

Leitrim is of course a lovely county and there is a beauty in its naturalness, you may wish to visit the villages of Dowra and Glangevlin and the old mines at Arigna which are open to visitors.

Into Cavan there are the lakes and some of the best hotels that the country has to offer, like the Sleive Russell at Ballyconnell and the Farnham Estate hotel, checkout; www.cavantourism.com

In Co. Cavan don't forget to visit the County Museum at Ballyjamesduff, thre is always a welcome and it will give you an insight into life in the region many years ago. Virginia is also quite a nice town with the Park Hotel which is most popular with visitors.

Onwards towards Navan you can call in at the Kells Heritage centre made famous because of the 'Book of Kells'. Trim is only about eight miles from Navan and well worth a visit to the famous castle.

Let us know what other things you are interested in and will try to help you, perhaps we can even help you to retrace your ancestors.

Chandler, Az
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: September visit

What wonderful ideas. I already knew of some of the sites, particularly the Castle as I am an O'Rourke.

Actually the County Leitrim genealogy society wasn't able to provide any additonal information on my ancestors. The last we know of was Hugh Roark, born in 1745, married and had 2 daughters before leaving them in Ireland and heading for the US.

If I understand correctly Creevelea Abbey is also connected to the O'Rourkes and there is a man named Hugh O'Rourke who was buried there in 1722. Another Hugh O'Rourke was a high sheriff in a town in County Leitrum about the same time. I surmise one of them might be my Hugh's grandfather. Who knows!

Thanks you so much for these ideas. I will explore them and look forward to any other suggestions you have.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September visit

Well one piece of advice that I can give you is to check out the Leitrim and Roscommon genealogy website; www.leitrim-roscommon.com/index.shtml

It may be difficult to locate an exact townland/village location where your family came from but keep in mind that where some records do not still exist, one of the best sources of information is through the Griffith Valuations undertaken around 1855 and if you can pin it down to a placename you might stand a pretty good chance of finding something. My experience of the Leitrim Genealogy centre in Ballinamore is that they can only help you when you know what you are looking for.

Goodluck with your search.

Chandler, Az
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: September visit

Thanks, Cavan. I'll do more research on those sites.

5. Re: September visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 08:18