We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Belfast to Newcastle, Northern Ireland

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Belfast to Newcastle, Northern Ireland

We are travelling by car from Belfast to Newcastle, NI and would like to detour over to Cootehill, Co Cavan. There appears to be a few possible routes. Can anyone suggest a route for the best roads?

Thank you very much!

2 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Belfast to Newcastle, Northern Ireland

I'd suggest travellingto Cootehill via Armagh and Monaghan,stopping in Armagh to take in the sights if you have time. Then travel via Castleblayney, Dundalk, and Newry and towards Newcastle. There are several scenic deviations on this leg, if you have time.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Belfast to Newcastle, Northern Ireland

Belfast to Newcastle via the A24 or A2. After Newcastle you have a choice of routes, I would pick the scenic coastal route down to Kilkeel and Newry. The alternative mountain route is narrow and hazardous in places. I drove the route from Newry to Armagh once and swore never again. Better to go to Dundalk and follow the route to Cassleblayney or Carrickmackross. Roads to Cootehill are twisty and narrow in places. I would allow three hours between Newcastle and Cootehill.

Reply to: Travelling from Belfast to Newcastle, Northern Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted