We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

instead of Bunratty castle?

NJ
Level Contributor
852 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
instead of Bunratty castle?

We're going on a CIE tour in February 2012 -- A Taste of Ireland. Unfortunately it's the exact same tour we did in 2008 for our HM. We're going again b/c a good friend organized this group trip & my widowed father really wants to go to Ireland again. At 83 there aren't a whole lot of next year's.

I'm a bit dissappointed that it will be the exact same tour but the group should make it fun. I didn't love it the 1st time. I really found the Medevial dinner at Bunratty castle to be a contrived tourist trap, although the singers were phenomenal after dinner.

We'll be staying that the Bunratty Castle Hotel.

Other than drink the night away at Dirty Nelly's is there ANYTHING else to do?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,753 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: instead of Bunratty castle?

Durty Nellies would be my last choice for an evening in Bunratty, The Creamery across the road is an option or Gallagers(Seafood)/Clarks(Bar) would be more to my choice. To be honest last time we overnighted in Bunratty we ate at the Creamery and spent the night in the hotel bar (no offence) avoiding a few coachloads of loud visitors.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,654 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: instead of Bunratty castle?

You could take a cab into Limerick and have dinner there, I can recommend some excellent restaurants. It will cost about €20-€25 for the taxi for a single journey but you might be able to cut a deal for a return trip. Alternatively you could get a bus into Limerick and a cab out. Or ask the hotel if they have a courtesy bus.

Edited: 25 September 2011, 23:02
NJ
Level Contributor
852 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: instead of Bunratty castle?

What's Limerick like?

The tour goes home on a Friday morning which seems silly to me. If we wanted to extend our trip by a day or two would you recommend a night in Limmerick? What would be the most economical way to get to Shannon AP from there?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,654 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: instead of Bunratty castle?

Limerick is a city, not glamorous but with some lovely hotels and restaurants. If you are here during a rugby weekend (Limerick is a big rugby city) it will be great fun.

In terms of places to visit in Limerick, the following are interesting:

Adare Village www.adarevillage.com - a 15 minute bus ride from the city. www.buseireann.ie for timetables but they run every hour or so. Adare is fabulous.

The Hunt Museum www.huntmuseum.com

King John's Castle shannonheritage.com/Attractions/…

The National Watercolour and Self Portrait Collections at the University of Limerick.

For a night out, then Dolans is a great venue www.dolans.ie

In terms of pubs and restaurants, other than Dolans, then Clohessy's Pub on Harvey's Quay is lovely as is the Locke on Locke Quay. My favourite restaurant is The Cornstore www.cornstorelimerick.com Favourite Chinese, The Jasmine Palace www.jasminepalace.ie But there are lots more excellent restaurants.

I hope this helps.

5. Re: instead of Bunratty castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2017, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bunratty
More Bunratty Topics