We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair access at Bunratty Medieval Dinner

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wheelchair access at Bunratty Medieval Dinner

We made reservations for the dinner at Bunratty Castle. The reservation form asks if wheelchair access is needed. At that time we said no but now my sister is in a wheelchair due to a broken leg. However, Shannon Heritage says that there is no wheelchair access. If so, why did they ask as part of the reservation? We can carry her up steps but she will need to sit in the wheelchair to have her leg elevated. Any advice?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,554 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair access at Bunratty Medieval Dinner

I'm not sure what advice can be given other than to arrive early to get your sister situated.

I visited Bunratty with someone a couple years back who uses a mobility scooter to get around; he was unable to get into the castle other than the one lower level. There are maybe 12-15 steps going up to the main level where the banquet is held.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,666 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair access at Bunratty Medieval Dinner

Why don't you contact them and let them know what the story is. They can then advise you - you can change the subject line in the contact us

www.shannonheritage.com/AboutUs/ContactUs/

Edited: 28 July 2012, 00:15
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair access at Bunratty Medieval Dinner

Thank you. I did contact them and their reply was:

I regret to inform you that Bunratty Castle is not wheelchair accessible. There are around 20 wooden cased step going up to the front entrance of the castle. If she can make them then she can go straight into the banquet hall for her glass of meade avoiding the 30 steep spiral steps.

I'm confused as to the spiral steps. Where do these lead to? If it is simply a matter of her not seeing the inside of the castle, then that will be OK.

Shannon Heritage suggested the Knappogue Castle banquet which is accessible. The only downside that I know is the castle is a reconstruction and not authentic. But the banquets seem to be comparable.

Interested to hear what you think.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair access at Bunratty Medieval Dinner

Unfortunately many of the castles and similar buildings in Ireland are not wheelchair friendly. Anywhere that can be, is, but there is not a lot that anyone can do about buildings that were not designed with wheelchairs in mind.

My own husband now finds his travels seriously curtailed, he is not in a wheelchair but his mobility is severely restricted and steps are not an option.

Most castles have spiral stair access to upper rooms, and you need to be steady on your feet to manage them. How people ran up and down them in long skirts, or small children, or people with arthritis or physical disabilities managed them, is a mystery!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,666 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair access at Bunratty Medieval Dinner

The wooden steps leading up to the castle are here www.google.ie/imgres…

Once you get through these you can just take a couple of steps up to the main hall where the banquet is being held. However there are other rooms upstairs and it is possible that the mead may be served there.

Some of the spiral steps in Bunratty www.google.ie/imgres…

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair access at Bunratty Medieval Dinner

Perhaps something in here might help your sister or others who use a wheelchair:

irishfireside.com/2010/…

http://www.accessibleireland.com/

http://www.accessireland.info/

discoverireland.com/us/…

www.sagetraveling.com/Dublin-Disabled-Access/

7. Re: Wheelchair access at Bunratty Medieval Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Bunratty
More Bunratty Topics