We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries Near Doolin

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Groceries Near Doolin

We're staying in a self-catering cottage for a week in Doolin and looking for a place to shop for groceries.

Thanks.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,249 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Groceries Near Doolin

There are local shops around but for decent supermarket shopping then Ennis might be your best bet.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
62,099 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Groceries Near Doolin

There's a SPAR in Ennistymon that might work. Stop in the bakery there while you're in town (Unglerts) it's very good.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
3. Re: Groceries Near Doolin

@ Tony Is the grocery store in Ennis Aldi's?.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,249 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Groceries Near Doolin

Aldi, Tesco, Dunn's, (Lidl by the Auburn is being done up but should be finished soon). Then there are more of the smaller shops in town. The Spar in Ennistymon and smaller local shops will be 25% more expensive at least but then if you only want a bit and factoring the time and cost of getting to a supermarket it works out pretty even. My tip is to shop before you arrive and grab some bits whilst you are out and about if you need anything mid week. There is also Supervalue, Aldi and Lidl in Gort along with some exotic stuff you might expect to find in a town known as "little Brazil"

Whilst you are over in Doolin don't be shy, take a day to come over here and explore East Clare and South East Galway. Over the Slieve Aughty and around Lough Derg you will find quite a contrast to what most people see of the Burren and Coast as they fly through.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
5. Re: Groceries Near Doolin

Great suggestions!

@Tony Thanks for the invite. I recently had a great conversation with someone who had visited Lough Derg and remember reading about it in McCarthy's Bar.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
6. Re: Groceries Near Doolin

@ Tony I just learned there are 2 Lough Derg's.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Groceries Near Doolin

Great info from Tony as usual!!

You may have missed Irishfan's helpful reply above - and yes, a second vote for Unglerts.

There's a petrol (gas) station before you turn down on the main access to Doolin (can't remember the road number) if you need milk in a hurray.

Lahinch also has retail (a good deli nestled in the town centre - Centra or one of those)...and there's homemade jam close to Doolin.

If you are coming through Shannon, there's also a Dunnes, bakery, pharmacy, Lidl etc etc at:

http://www.skycourtshannon.com/

The free parking makes it quite stress free.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Groceries Near Doolin

Milk in a hurray?

Oh dear ....:)

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
9. Re: Groceries Near Doolin

@ Irishfan Thanks for the bakery suggestion.

@ ferdia I can't imagine ever needing milk in a hurry (hurray), since I do not drink milk, however, my husband does for his breakfast cereal. Actually, my husband will eat anything so all of the above suggestions were great.

However, I'm the picky eater here and I am looking for a place to get fruit and vegies, yogurt, eggs, chicken/turkey etc.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: Groceries Near Doolin

These may be useful Sully.

http://www.ennistymonfarmersmarket.com/

http://www.burrensmokehouse.ie/

There is an organic fruit and veg store at the Skycourt centre above...and we buy our meat at John Quinn in Shannon...it's fresh, local and good value (and close to Skycourt.)

Get answers to your questions about Doolin