We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Moher

boston
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffs of Moher

Hi, We will be at the Cliffs sometime in mid September -- haven't planned our itinerary yet. The pictures of the cliffs look awesome. I will be traveling with my husband who has a problem walking, but I'm a hiker. From the little I read, it seems like there is a bus to the top. So is it possible for me to hike one way and for him to take the bus and I would join him on either the way up or down. Am I better off hiking up or down? It's usually easier on my knees to hike up. How difficult is the hiking? Could I do it alone? Is it safe? Is the path well marked?I'm 67, but have been hiking for many, many years.

Thanks for your help. As soon as we get our itinerary more solid, I'll run it by you. You have always been so helpful.

Thanks! Charlotte

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,276 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs of Moher

I think you might be confusing the Cliffs of Moher with the Giants Causeway? You don't really "hike" the cliffs, you're standing on top of them. There is some elevation to the walkways in some places, but not what most would think of as a "hike", I don't think.

I tried to look for some images that might help:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5uy7hky

http://tinyurl.com/preview.php?num=5rr3sg7

Edited: 08 July 2011, 08:23
boston
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs of Moher

Hmmm... I was checking this website and from some of the postings, it certainly seemed like people were hiking and even described the route. That's pretty strange... --Charlotte

www.summitpost.org/cliffs-of-moher/151053

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,435 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffs of Moher

irishfan is right....not really a hiking place...you can walk up a semi steep incline to your left after you are inside the site, o'briens tower is a good steep walk up on your right...but other than that i can't think of any place to hike....

no buses that i saw last month except the tour buses parked in the carpark across the road, you just park your car and walk across it and your inside the site....

Boston
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliffs of Moher

It does seem like the Cliffs are being confused with some place else. You can take a tour bus or drive (or walk like we did from Doolin) to the big parking lot then just walk over to near the edge. Maybe some people hike from there somehow but this is not a hike up the cliffs kind of place whatsoever.

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliffs of Moher

I have read a post on a forum somewhere about someone visiting in a wheel chair but it was one found for him by a B&B after he broke his leg or something? To be fair the Cliffs are not really a hike any more, they are now a well laid tourist enterprise and if your husband can walk probably 500 yards on a pavement then there shouldn't be a problem.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,276 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliffs of Moher

"I was checking this website and from some of the postings, it certainly seemed like people were hiking and even described the route. That's pretty strange..."

Not really. I looked at the link. They are just choosing to walk (hike) from the nearest village of any size, Doolin, instead of driving and parking in the car park at the visitor center.

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cliffs of Moher

This might be a better site

http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/

And if going during opening hours use the 25% Discount voucher

discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/sha…

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cliffs of Moher

We often bring visitors there and even my very unfit 74 year old mother can do it. There are quite a few steps up to the little castle thing but you can also see the cliffs without going up there. Nice place to have a cup of tea and a scone in the visitor center

boston
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cliffs of Moher

Hi All, Thanks so much for all your advice. So it looks like if I want a 5 mile hike, I should look someplace else and just enjoy the views from the cliffs. Thanks again. And, tony2phones, I'll certainly check out that 25% Discount voucher. --Charlotte

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cliffs of Moher

This site might also be of interest if you do want to walk the Burren or many other things.

http://www.burrenecotourism.com/

Mentioned in this post
The Burren
The Burren
672 Reviews
County Clare, Ireland