We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aran islands

Donegal Town...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
aran islands

What is the best way to travel to the Aran Islands? I want the shortest route. Hope to stay in Doolin.

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aran islands

The best and shortest way to the Aran Islands is from the pier in Doolin.

There are two companies operating from Doolin and both are pretty much the same.

www.doolinferry.com

www.obrienline.com

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,145 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: aran islands

I have read that some of the boats from Doolin to Inishmore stop on the way at Inisheer so that the actual travel time is not that short. You might want to check this out with the above mentioned ferry lines as their schedules do not appear to be on their website.

We took the ferry from Rossaveel to Inishmore in May and the trip was less than an hour.

http://www.aranislandferries.com/index.php

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aran islands

There's no real *short* trip to the Aran Islands, but I would suggest Doolin over all others to head out from. It is probably the shortest overall trip considering you have to GET to a place along the coast with ferries. I left from Galway and had a 30+-minute bus ride to the coast before the ferry trip.

Mentioned in this post
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Iowa
Level Contributor
78 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: aran islands

Should you purchase you tickets online or wait until the day you would like to go? Do they fill up? How early should you be there before the ferry leaves. Thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,280 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: aran islands

I recently (end of June) bought tickets in advance and when we turned up for the boat the weather had turned bad and we probably wouldn't have gone if we didn't already have tickets in hand and no chance of a refund at that point.

I think you'd be OK just showing up an hour or so in advance. I can't recall ever seeing them turn people away although I suppose it 's possible.

6. Re: aran islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 09:16