We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs to Killarney travel time?

Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffs to Killarney travel time?

Google Maps says about 3.5 hours travel from Killarney to Dublin. Is this close to accurate? Is the drive scenic at all?

Also I've mapped from Liscannor (Area of the Cliffs of Moeher) to Killarney as 2.5 hours. Is that accurate and is this drive scenic at all?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs to Killarney travel time?

I would put Dublin Killarney at closer to 4 hours taking the most direct route. The first two hours is on fast motorway that bypasses all towns. You will then pass through Adare which is a very pretty village. The rest of the journey to Killarney is not especially scenic

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,986 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs to Killarney travel time?

Starting from Liscannor there are a couple of sensible routes to Killarney. The practical one takes you to Ennis the M18 and Shannon tunnel. South of the Shannon take the N21 to Castleisland then the N23-N22 to Killarney.

The scenic route is down the coast to Quilty then cut across the R438 to Kilrush and the ferry to Tarbert. You would miss Adare which is renowned for its biscuit tin images and a Manor used by lots of US tour companies. On the plus side you pass through Listowel which is more than enough compensation being one of my favourite Heritage towns. From Listowel you could cross the Kerry countryside to Castleisland but you might want to stay on the Main roads going round Tralee to Killarney.

To Dublin there are even more choices and it would depend on the time you have and your interests. Personally I would take the N72 to Mallow then the N73 to the M8. This way takes you past Cahir and Cashel. Not being in a rush would leave Clonmel and Kilkenny as options but the M8 is the fast track.

I can match Google times fairly well but as a visitor you might want to add 15%

Edited: 03 September 2011, 20:55
Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
3. Re: Cliffs to Killarney travel time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 22:16
;