We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to LBI....

Level Contributor
621 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to LBI....

This will be a Thur-Sun trip in late Sept, maybe early Oct. Because I have free nights to burn I am considering stay at HI property in Manahawkin. In season I assume this location would mean a huge backup of traffic. How about off season? From reading various threads it seems beach passes are sold per person? I am more accustom to a beach parking fee not day pass. What should I expect to pay in late September? Is LBI considered "Jersey Shore" or is that the area further south near Ocean City? Is there a recommended website (besides TA) that might help me decide on where to visit, what to do? Definitely want to do a boardwalk... do most communities have boardwalks? Since this is a short trip (and I am clueless) I could use some recommendations.

5 replies to this topic
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to LBI....

Late September/October a lot of things will be closed for the season already, traffic should be light! Beach passes are up to the municipality so you'll have different rules depending where you go - maybe no passes at all off season. There's no boardwalks on LBI but there are some amusement areas like in Beach Haven. You want boardwalks there's Seaside, Ocean City, Wildwood..., but you'll have to see what's open when you plan to go.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to LBI....

The Jersey Shore is the whole 130 miles of coastline. Each town has a unique character to it.

But, Not every Jersey Shore town has a boardwalk. Most boardwalk activities will be closed the time of year you are interested in. In the northern section there is a continuous boardwalk that extents for miles through Asbury Park, Ocean Grove, Bradley Beach, Belmar, and Spring Lake.. But all of them except Asbury Park are non commercial. The one Jersey Shore town with a boardwalk that does not "close down" in the off season is Asbury Park

That time of year you will not need a beach badge, but that also means that there will not be life guards. it is highly recommended that you do not go in the ocean that is not guarded.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to LBI....

Most of LBI will be open around that time. The Chowderfest in Beach Haven is the first weekend in Oct. It draws thousands of tourists so most businesses will be open. The fest is on Sunday, Oct. 1st. The Sat. before has sales all over the island. It's a fun time but can get crowded! No boardwalk. Beaches are unguarded so no beach tags are required but don't swim in a unguarded beach. Many drowned this year.

NJ
Level Contributor
800 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to LBI....

There is no boardwalk per se on all of LBI. If you want Boardwalk with rides go to Pt. Pleasant, Seaside or Wildwood.

Chalfont...
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to LBI....

No beach tags are required after labor day. There is no boardwalk on LBI. My grandparents used to live here year round and the island is very quite with little traffic after the summer and only have blinking traffic lights. Check the date, but the Chowder Fest is coming up and the stores are open during that

Reply to: First trip to LBI....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Long Beach Island