We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

Trying to get my daughter down to join us for the weekend but public transport to LBI looks difficult. Any ideas?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

There should be a NJ Transit bus from the Port Authority to Tom's River. You could pick her up there (about a half hour off the island), or she could transfer to a bus to Mannahawkin (only 15 minutes). You might also try this service for a more direct route: http://www.transportazumah.com/TAZ10. I believe it is still up and running.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

Thank you. Word is the azumah bus is a slow drive w lots of stops. Looks like Toms River is best bet. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Toms River
Toms River
Jersey Shore, NJ
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

I don't know too much about that particular bus service, but the schedule shows only two (by request only) stops before Surf City, the first LBI stop. The schedule shows two hours from NYC to The Island (though I suspect on Saturday - "turnover" day - that it would be longer). I should have mentioned that once you are off the island on a Saturday morning/mid-day, it's rough getting back on because of rental and day trip traffic. Friday is much better. If you don't want to drive off the island, Surf City certainly wouldn't be too bad a trip. Bonus: You could hit up Callahan's, Okie's, The Blue Claw, Boulevard Clams, The Cheese Shoppe, Rita's and Anchor Produce for provisions (all from a single parking spot).

Mentioned in this post
CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

My husband used Azumah several weekends in a row when we were down a car from NYC to Beach Haven. He had no complaints. It can be slow due to traffic but the same traffic affects bus service.

He has also taken the NJ transit bus, it is cheaper than Azumah and in the off season the only option.

Which you decide, I agree to avoid traveling on Sat morning.

PS there really isn't a"North Beach Haven". Just north of Beach Haven is Spray Beach which is part of Long Beach Township (for purposes of beach tags, beach rules, traffic violations etc)

Mentioned in this post
Beach Haven
Beach Haven
Long Beach Island, NJ
Spray Beach Hotel
Spray Beach Hotel
189 Reviews
Long Beach Island, NJ
Long Beach Township
Long Beach Township
Long Beach Island, NJ
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

Does she drive? You can pickup pretty cheap rental cars on weekends at Enterprise and quite a few of their locations are near the 139 bus line (like Old Bridge, NJ for example) or the North Jersey Coast line (like Belmar). I've rented cars there for as little as $10/day from them. Not sure if that's an option. I used to live in NJ but moved. Now when i come to NYC for work, whenever I need to go back down to NJ that's my preferred method.

Mentioned in this post
Belmar
Belmar
Jersey Shore, NJ
Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

North Beach Haven is an actually town. It is located from 12th-20th streets. It is under the jurisdiction of long beach township not Beach Haven.

Mentioned in this post
Beach Haven
Beach Haven
Long Beach Island, NJ
7. Re: What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 21:06
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

The Route TAZ10 bus (http://www.transportazumah.com/TAZ10) is good--albeit a bit pricey ($40 each way). Good if the other option is renting a car. It's a comfortable tour bus-type w/a bathroom and lots of seats. It is pricey, but it takes you straight to the island without stops in Toms River, and it makes it worth it. Their schedules are a bit off as far as when you'll arrvive--they can be late with pickup (NYC traffic) and do not take any alternate routes on the causeway which can get backed up. But no stress with changing buses or anything. If you need "Drive a mile to save a dime"--as they say, then opt for NJ Transit Bus which is at least 1/2 the price.

Edited: 18 August 2015, 01:06
Mentioned in this post
Toms River
Toms River
Jersey Shore, NJ
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,201 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

Rachelg This thread is over a year old. I think the OP was looking last summer.

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the best way to get to North Beach Haven, from NYC?

There is a North Beach Haven

Get answers to your questions about Long Beach Island