We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LBI vacation questions

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
LBI vacation questions

We'll be spending a week in Beach Haven this month and I have some questions.

1. Is there a good grocery store on the island or should we stop at one in Manahawkin or someplace on the mainland?

2. If check in is at 2pm on Saturday, how long should we acticipate it to take to get across the bridge? I know it'll be bad traffic, maybe a half hour?

3. I've read that food is prohibited on some beaches, is that strictly enforced? Small snacks ok?

4. Is there a laundromat in beach haven? The only one I saw on google was in surf city?

5. I don't see any beaches on the bay side, are they only on the ocean side?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Beach Haven
Beach Haven
Long Beach Island, NJ
8 replies to this topic
Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LBI vacation questions

1) There is a grocery near the south end of the island - I believe it is an Acme - there are also some smaller markets, Either is expensive. Before you get on the island there is a Costco and a BJs as well as other shopping options.

2) I would try to get across as early as you can - you can always grab some lunch/breakfast at Scojos, or Moustache Bills or Dom's Drive in (three of my favorites)

3) Not sure about food - pretty sure it's OK

Sorry, can't help with the other two questions

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LBI vacation questions

Thank you!!

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LBI vacation questions

I always do my main shopping off the island, and while I'm there I'll go local when I need just a few items. I don't like sand in my food so I tend to avoid eating on the beach so I can't really help you out with that question, and the laundromat you mentioned is the only one that I'm aware of because I've used it before and I remember having to drive all the way there from Haven Beach because I couldn't find another one. For me, I really enjoy LBI's laid-back, low key at most there. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your time at the beach… Wait, I forgot this is jersey, I hope you enjoy your time down the shore.

Edited: 06 July 2016, 05:25
Mentioned in this post
Haven Beach Motel
Haven Beach Motel
41 Reviews
Long Beach Island, NJ
Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LBI vacation questions

I always do my main shopping off the island, and while I'm there I'll go local when I need just a few items. I don't like sand in my food so I tend to avoid eating on the beach so I can't really help you out with that question, and the laundromat you mentioned is the only one that I'm aware of because I've used it before and I remember having to drive all the way there from Haven Beach because I couldn't find another one. For me, I really enjoy LBI's laid-back, low key at most there. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your time at the beach… Wait, I forgot this is jersey, I hope you enjoy your time down the shore.

Edited: 06 July 2016, 05:25
Mentioned in this post
Haven Beach Motel
Haven Beach Motel
41 Reviews
Long Beach Island, NJ
Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LBI vacation questions

I always do my main shopping off the island, and while I'm there I'll go local when I need just a few items. I don't like sand in my food so I tend to avoid eating on the beach so I can't really help you out with that question, and the laundromat you mentioned is the only one that I'm aware of because I've used it before and I remember having to drive all the way there from Haven Beach because I couldn't find another one. For me, I really enjoy LBI's laid-back, low key atmosphere. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your time at the beach… Wait, I forgot this is jersey, I hope you enjoy your time down the shore.

Edited: 06 July 2016, 05:26
Mentioned in this post
Haven Beach Motel
Haven Beach Motel
41 Reviews
Long Beach Island, NJ
CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LBI vacation questions

There is Murphys supermarket in Beach Haven as well as a small farmers market (Fosters). The Shop Rite on 72 will be a zoo on a Sat morning. When I was growing up, my mom used to pack a large cooler with enough to tide us over for at least a few days.

I also recommend an early arrival, breakfast on the island, maybe some mini golf. Then check in to your rental.

I think the laundromat in Spray Beach was closest but closed after Sandy. Many rentals offer washer/dryer. If your doesn't ask the realtor.

Beach Haven allows snacks and beverages but no alcohol, no grills/fires. Watch for seagulls and keep food closed up when not in use. Clean up any trash.

Mentioned in this post
Beach Haven
Beach Haven
Long Beach Island, NJ
Spray Beach Hotel
Spray Beach Hotel
180 Reviews
Long Beach Island, NJ
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LBI vacation questions

Thank you jesssymgai and yankeemom! Great info!! I hadn't thought about how crowded the store in Manahawkin would be. Two more sleeps and we'll be on the shore 😁

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LBI vacation questions

There is a wonderful Fb pg "LBi Recommendations and Questions!" It is a wealth of information!

Reply to: LBI vacation questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Long Beach Island