We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenhead flies

Mechanicville, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Greenhead flies

Has anyone been to the Holgate area recently? Wondering how the fly situation is....

port republic
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenhead flies

varies day to day, with the wind

Mechanicville, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenhead flies

Any truth in the August full moon high tide taking them out?

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenhead flies

>>August full moon high tide<< I've never heard or read anything even similar to this. If y'all have anything, it'd be an interesting read.

Saturday in AC, there was a hefty breeze ~ an umbrella lifting off the sandy beach breeze. And no greenheads. Sunday, was a minor breeze, barely noticeable on your beach umbrella breeze. And greenheads were biting, all I had was some organic, non~toxic bug repellent, which didn't work well enough to repel greenheads. So there was a woman at the next beachchair stating she has tough skin and they don't bother her. So I pack up to leave and stand to ask DH if there's anything else I can take back and 2, count em, 2 greenheads go for my freshly sprayed with bug repellent ankles. And later when DH left the beach, he tells me the greenheads went after the tough~skin woman as soon as I left. The only other explanation is the greenheads had plenty of parrotheads to feast on on Saturday and left my 'unprotected' [apparently the organic, non~toxic repellent is not good enough for greenheads] self alone.

I suggest to look for repellent that has greenheads listed right on the label

Mechanicville, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenhead flies

capecodtoday.com/article/2007/08/02/9484-Bew…

port republic
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenhead flies

Lisa that is a very colorful article. I dare you to take a spin around the wildlife refuge drive after the august high tide without bug dope or gin, window open. you can tell us if it's true.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenhead flies

It's just nature's natural timing. Those greenheads love hot temps and land breezes. In last August & September, it's cooling down. It has nothing to do with the month's high tide, that could be on any one of the 31 days in August.

Highlands, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greenhead flies

I am going down to the island state beach area and was told the flies in that area have been very active. I bought a bottle of "cactus juice" which is supposed to repel the little buggers. Bought it online through Amazon. Supposed to be effective. We shall see....

Mechanicville, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greenhead flies

I'll let you know how it goes next week!

Mechanicville, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greenhead flies

The article said high tide full moon....that can't happen any day in August. Or am I not understanding the article? That would be 8/18 this year.

Edited: 18 August 2016, 07:14
Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greenhead flies

Well, it varies each year. This year it's Aug 18. Next year it may be Aug 15. The following year it's Aug 12. Just to illustrate that it's doubtful some years the buggers exit the area so early!!!

Get answers to your questions about Long Beach Island