We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mijas or arcos

maitland fla
5 posts
Save Topic
mijas or arcos

we are looking for a real spanish experience and wonder if mijas is touristy ? and if so is arcos? how mandatory is a/c during the summer? can someone please tell me how long a drive it is from malaga to arcos?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,733 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mijas or arcos

Yes, Mijas is more touristy than Arcos, but there is more to see in Mijas and more restaurants. Arcos is about 1.5 hours away from Malaga.

If you do decide to go to Arcos, park at the bottom of the hill because there is little parking on the top, beside the parador.

Arcos does not have the stores that Mijas has. All you have is the view.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,569 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mijas or arcos

As a big fan of Arcos and without knowing the ins and outs of Mijas or the Costa del Sol, I would say that you can certainly enjoy the Spanishness of Andalucia in Arcos de la Frontera. I was only chatting yesterday to the tourist lady in the kiosk at the Paseo about tourists from Northern Europe and she said that numbers had fallen a lot partly because of the wet weather (by the way today is beautiful) and partly due to the economic turmoil. In Arcos you have plenty of basic hostelries and in fact at this time there are no less than 20 that are included in the VII Ruta de la Tapa which runs until 25th Match. This is an annual event that encourages many of the local bars and hotels to offer a nice tapa along with a glass of your choice for the princely sum of Euros 2. I have tasted a few already and I have a feeling of who will win the competition !

Arcos does not seem to 'sell' itself to tourists and the decrepit sign in English and Spanish directing people to the parking at Paseo de Andalucia is showing signs of total illegibility. First impressions count and clearly this town does not have any great desire to cater for mass tourism nor particularly has any great desire to change.

It is a fairly classic Andalucian town that has a lot to offer but is happy just to be Arcos.

Yesterday I discovered a newish cafe for breakfast serving me with delicious coffee and two pieces of fresh toast with a glass of orange juice all for Euros 2 BUT the amazing thing about the cafe is that it offers fast broadband internet WiFi which is something quite original for Arcos ! There is also now a shop selling nice cakes (shall we say 'patisserie' ) and bread which makes a welcome change to the standard offerings.

But apart from small shops there are some big supermarkets such as Mercadona (2 in town) Carrefour, Lidl, DIA and others. These all offer ample choice of fish and meats as well as all the usual needs.

OK - there are no big stores but plenty of useful small shops and very helpful 'ferreterias' for example.

For larger shops it is nice to get on the bus into Jerez for Euros 1.50 one way journey time about 35 minutes and visit the Calle Larga where many big stores have an outlet or even Area Sur on the west side of Jerez that boasts people like Primark and some nice shops and restaurants.

Of course Jerez makes an interesting day out and is easily reached either by the bus or by car on the dual carriageway road from Arcos.

Further afield it is possible to take a bus to Seville from Arcos bus station - twice a day. Or even to some of the other 'pueblos blancos' around or to for example Cadiz. A magical city.

So although Benny says that Arcos only has a 'view' I would recommend the town for many reasons and hope that you can visit. By the way, the Meson de Molinera which is a hotel and restaurant/bar on Arcos lake in Santiscal offers a decent Menu del Dia for Euros 10 with friendly attention. But it's a nice place just for a quiet drink.

And that hill that Benny mentions. Yes the old town is built on a hill and the Moors made full use of the sharp cliffs on both sides for a defensive position, It's great to wander through the Arcos streets from one end to the other. Finish at Barrio Bajo and find another community then you can take the mini bus back to the other side of town. A local mini bus runs also through the narrow streets of the old town taking you through parts that many motorists would not dare to navigate !

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,569 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mijas or arcos

About the access. You have a new road that runs from Arcos/Jerez all the way to the coast near Gibraltar. I drive this way occasionally and from Arcos I allow about 1 1/2 hours to take in the views of eagles and vultures in the Alcornacales Park !! From Gibraltar to Malaga airport I would allow about 1 hour minimum. probably the overall drive would take me about 2 1/2 hours as a minimum.

The alternative airports to Arcos are at Jerez, Gibraltar or Seville. Jerez is the closest and connects with Madrid or Barcelona or using Ryanair to London Stansted.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mijas or arcos

No contest. If you want something more Spanish, then it is Arcos every time.

Mijas is pretty, but as been flooded by tourists for at least the past 40 years.

bedford, uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mijas or arcos

Has to be Arcos for me every time. Visited Mijas once, couldn't wait to leave. This is not "real Spain". Yes, Mijas has donkeys, but other than that nothing that Arcos doesn't have [unless you count multitudes of tourists and associated shops]!

Arcos has the best of both worlds with the picturesque [and not over prettified] old town with its shady patios and the convenience of the supermarkets, etc in the new town. The view from the mirador is fabulous [even better from terrace at the Parador over a drink]. The best thing for me is going from bar to bar having a different tapa in each and trying to understand the local accent. A few words of Spanish will open many doors here....

PS Air con is essential in the summer months

6. Re: mijas or arcos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 14:20
Get answers to your questions about Arcos de la Frontera
More Arcos de la Frontera Topics