We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buses

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
buses

could you tell me please where you buy the weekly bus pass from?

and are the buses running any better, as according to the reviews on here they are terrible!

I do not drive so the buses will be the only way for me to get around the Island, I am visiting the first week of Nov.

many thanks

Alice.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,611 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buses

It seems that the buses are improving but is still far from perfect.

The weekly bus pass is excellent value for only 12 euros ( the one ticket that is actually cheaper than the old one )

The ticket can be bought at the bus station or from any driver when you get on the bus.

Have a great time in November.

Graham

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buses

Graham is right and I can only add that the bus routes are being revised again as from November 6 , as many Maltese complained and we are now going back to the old system, a spoke system from Valletta to all the major Villages .

Some "Good" routes like the Airport Express will remain in operation , even if they were not there in the old system .

Things are getting better but far from perfect , and I am depending my opinion on heresay , as I do not use the buses .

Sliema and Qawra are well served it seems and we do not hear many complaints from these areas !

Welcome to Malta

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Qawra
Qawra
Island of Malta, Malta
Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buses

many thanks for your quick replies, I arrive on the 5th Nov!

do you know if the hotel where I will be staying ( Hotel Solana) would have a timetable, or somewhere, bus station I suppose, is there a bus station actually in Mellieha?

one more question, what is the temperature like at the moment?

just wondering if I need to pack a coat!

many thanks once again.

is there any way that you could tell me how you pronounce Mellieha!

regards

Alice.

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,611 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buses

There is no bus station in Mellieha as he buses just go along the main road.

Most hotels do seem to keep copies of bus timetables and will usually give you a printed off copy if asked.

November weather can be mixed . I have been going to Malta at this time of year for a long time and I keep a journal of all my trips and this includes notes about the weather. I have just had a look and can confirm that the last few years the November weather has been mainly sunny and pleasent during the day but getting cooler in the afternoon.

Occaisional rain has been short lived and soon dried up.

I would bring a coat in case it is needed.

Pronounced:

MELL LEE HA ------- with a real H . Bit difficult to explain !!

Whatever the weather --- that you can`t do anything about ---- enjoy your stay

Graham

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: buses

Hi Ali45,

The Arriva Malta website has Timetables , which you can print, which you may find handy to do some pre-holiday planning, but be advised that there are to be revisions on 6th November, the day after your arrival.

Just Google Arriva Malta.

We are coming out on 8th November, for the first time, and lets hope we all enjoy a good holiday, and enjoy using the buses.

Mentioned in this post
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buses

To be honest, I wouldn't print out any timetables just yet as I suspect that the routes through Mellieha are high on the list for changing in November.

There are various conflicting newspaper reports on what is happening in November (some of which I suspect are wrong) and so I am actively monitoring the situation but will not publish any details on TA until it appears on the Arriva website. I therefore suggest that you revisit this website a week before you travel to find out the latest info.

Phil-the-Bus

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buses

If you have a look at the route map on Arriva you will see that Mellieha is served by three mainline routes X1 , 11 and 41 .

http://www.arriva.com.mt/file.aspx?f=55

I do not think that these routes will change on Novemeber 6 , as most of the changes affect other villages or towns which did not have a direct bus to Valletta.

Forget the timetables , as Arriva are well known not to keep to timetables !!!

Welome to Malta

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buses

Being a resident of Mellieha i can confitm that all residents have had letters from our local authority regarding the disgraceful service provided in the village - thus affecting all who live here and all those who holiday here...so changes will be coming for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Telford, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buses

We have just spent a week in Mellieha and used the buses. Can be stressfull and not a comfortable journey. We waited at least 45 mins and saw 3 No 11's go past before 2 arrrived and followed each other to Qwara. They pack you on like sardines and the drivers drive fast and love to put the brakes on at the last minute. The good point is the price for the distance you can go.

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
London
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buses

The 24hr ticket is also cheaper at €2.6 rather than over €3 previously and great value. Nick a plastic pocket from the secretary at work, cut the corner off and use this to put your ticket in - stops the ink coming off.

What I noticed getting better on the bus system was general frequency of the service, quicker journeys, more information available and drivers much more confident with the new buses especially the bendies, which I, hold my hands up, was wrong about and on quite a few routes they actually work well, even the climb and down over the Mellieha ridge. Their poor air con needs sorting though.

I only travelled on the main most direct routes and can't comment on services to the villages, which I believe is what is changing.

The internal maintenance of the vehicles needs improving too. The new buses are city buses meant for an easy life with only the engine being thrashed, but in Malta with still some atrocious road surfaces, the bodywork and insides are being thrashed too.

cheers

Ntd

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Get answers to your questions about Mellieha