We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speed boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

Crowborough, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Speed boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

I know there are lots of reviews regarding boat trips for this route, but wondered if anyone had travelled to PP on the speed boat? We are travelling in February and staying in Siem Reap for 3 days and then on to PP for a further 3 nights. Just thought it would be nice to travel along the Mekong instead of getting a plane as we are flying quite a bit during the rest of our trip. The only review I can see is a few years old and wondered if anyone on TA had used this means of transport recently, and if so who they used.

Thank you if you have the time to comment

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,418 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speed boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

It is actually the Tonle River and for a large part of the trip Tonle Sap (lake) (it meets the Mekong near PP) .. if miles & miles of brown water floats your boat .. it may be for you, otherwise take the bus or get a taxi and see some of the countryside.

Water levels will be dropping so the actual course will be even further from shore

Best trip on the Mekong is in Laos

Mentioned in this post
Tonle Sap Lake
Tonle Sap Lake
2,013 Reviews
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Laos
Laos
Asia
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,126 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speed boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

It isn't a "speed boat", you will be putting along on a slow riverbaot. Scenery ranges from riverside villages, guys on small boats fishing and, as Helen stated above, long stretches of brown water. The trip will take up to 6 hours (if the boat doesn't get stuck on a sandbank) and costs aout $35 these days, which is a rip-off considering you can take an A/C bus for $12. I did this trip many years ago and I enjoyed it enough, it was $15 in those days.

Crowborough, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speed boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

Thanks Helen for your quick response greatly appreciated. We will probably take the plane or a taxi, still a bit undecided, but most people say the roads are not much better either.

Thanks again.

Crowborough, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speed boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

Thank you Maneki, we have done lots of boat trips in the far east and seen the villages etc etc so will probably let the plane take the strain. We was a bit concerned as we would have cases with us too, and thought that could be a problem aswell. We love travelling but are not back packers as I like my comforts too much.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Regards

5. Re: Speed boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 12:16