We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange dollars to pesos

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Exchange dollars to pesos

Our first stop will be in Puerto Morelos before heading to Isla Mujeres. Where is the best place to exchange dollars to pesos in Puerto Morelos?

19 replies to this topic
Maine
Level Contributor
58 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Exchange dollars to pesos

We usually get that done before we go to Mexico. Check with your bank, they may allow you to "purchase" pesos. Mine does. However, it will not change pesos back to dollars. FYI

New York
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Exchange dollars to pesos

Dollars are accepted in Mexico. Depending on what you use them for I would do some research.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
134 reviews
3. Re: Exchange dollars to pesos

Dboester,

Another good option is to just go to a Money Gram office near your home town (e.g. Wal-mart Customer Service / Financial Service counters), and send the money to yourself. You will need to specify which State in Mexico where you will be picking up or claiming your money, *and* your name must match your name as it appears in your passport *exactly*. Just go visit MoneyGram a day or two (2) before you travel!!!

Then you can just visit any MoneyGram office location in Mexico (Mega, Soriana, Chedruai, and yes even Wal-Mart {in Mexico} as well as many major (large) farmacias with MoneyGram locations, and with the 8-digit PIN they give you when you send the money to yourself, you will pick up your money in Mexican pesos (Mxn). Your receipt from sending it to yourself will tell you exactly how much you can expect to pickup when you claim your money in Mexico. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,751 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: Exchange dollars to pesos

I got pesos from my home bank and it was very easy. Got a very good are for a small fee.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Exchange dollars to pesos

I always get a few pesos at home before i leave. there is an ATM in my airport for that. All other pesos that i get i get from ATM there. I have never worried about the exchange rate. There are three good ATM at the Chedruai. Two inside and one with the bank in the plaza. You are in their country, so use their currency

JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
129 reviews
6. Re: Exchange dollars to pesos

We exchange some at home if the exchange is favorable leading up to our trip and this helps us budget. Then we get the rest at the ATM at the airport asking for an odd number to get some smaller bills.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Exchange dollars to pesos

We exchange a small amount at home before we leave. Then when we are on Isla. I was wondering if there is a bank in Puerto Morelos that is convenient. If not we will just wait till we get to the island.

Edited: 15 January 2018, 11:38
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Exchange dollars to pesos

I'm pretty sure there's sure there's no banks from what I can remember.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Exchange dollars to pesos

There are at least three banks that i know of:

1. Banco Azteca

2. CI Bank

3. BBVA

1 and 2 are near the intersection of the highway and the road to the portside. 3 is out near the Super AKI in the north side of the colonia

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Exchange dollars to pesos

Thanks for the info everyone. Peter M thats what i was looking for :)

Edited: 15 January 2018, 12:05
Reply to: Exchange dollars to pesos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Morelos