We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car to drive to PM

Cumberland, Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Renting a car to drive to PM

I am traveling to PM next month for a weeks stay. We usually rent a car in other countries but have never done so in Mexico. Is it too unsafe for two women to travel this way? Is the rental car return well marked at the airport? If we don’t rent a car and I’m not a fan of the bus, is there a less expensive way to get from airport to PM other than a taxi?

18 replies to this topic
Blair, Nebraska
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Renting a car to drive to PM

There are many transfer companies that do a great job at getting you where you want to go and promptly arriving on departure day for your return to the airport.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Renting a car to drive to PM

for transfers - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums…

a car isn't needed in town - everything is very walkable and taxis are plentiful and inexpensive.

JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Renting a car to drive to PM

We usually rent and took a rental to PM last year. We rent from EasyWay and have never had an issue. We like to explore and feel we need a car.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,455 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Renting a car to drive to PM

Have you ever taken an ADO bus?

Level Contributor
60 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Renting a car to drive to PM

it amazes me how people bring their lifestyle on vacations to foreign areas and miss the experiences of living as the locals do and appreciating another way of life

Its not worth it to rent a car in Mexico

You are almost certain to be given a ticket by the police shaken down for a bribe

The major cost is the additional daily insurance on top of the rental fee

Make sure you take plenty of photos before and after to contest damage fees from back home

Taxis are very cheap and available

Busses are handy

Most of Puerto Morelos is within walking distance - tours either use buses or a taxi can be hired at worst

Imagine if you have an accident or worse how your trip or life will be affected

To the airport you can take the ado bus to the highway junction and then a cab to your hotel and vice versa in return

I once met a British fellow at the local coffee shop who explained to me the dire nature why He Must Have a Car to Go to Starbucks twice a day and how he cannot live without a car for this reason on vacation in Puerto Morelos

My advice to him in my mind would be why travel stay home

JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
129 reviews
6. Re: Renting a car to drive to PM

Lots of people rent cars in Mexico with no issues. For a family of five it is usually the easiest for us and we consider the cost part of vacation. Taxi are double for five people then they are for four in some areas. We aren't using a car to run to Starbucks but to go to the Plaza on Sunday nights in downtown Cancun to have a real Mexican experience. Taxis and tours are great for tourist areas but if you want to visit Mexico we prefer a car but understand why others prefer other transportation. We used to use the buses a lot when it was just three of us but now with five and special needs of one child we rent a car.

ca
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Renting a car to drive to PM

Living like locals? Many Mexicans have cars. I think a car gives you more chances to experience the culture as you are more likely to get out of the resort or tourists areas. I have NEVER gotten shook down by police when renting a car in Mexico. I always have traveled with only my son or another woman. I know it happens but it isnt as common as your post would have someone believe. It depends on your plans if a car is the best bet for someone.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
13,057 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Renting a car to drive to PM

NormanBubis that is hilarious. Are you a total scaremonger or what

Mexicans drive cars all the time!!!

Cumberland, Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Renting a car to drive to PM

Is the airport well marked for returning the car? What extra insurances are you required to purchase and what is the cost per day we should expect to pay for it?

Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Renting a car to drive to PM

Just came back from PM . Easy place to drive around . Well marked highway showing the exit . No issues driving whatsoever and did not get hassled by the cops .Be aware of your surroundings just like you would anywhere in the world and i believe it will not be a concern for 2 women to drive around . Saw quite a few women only drivers in most of the areas we drove to . Lots of signs at the airport showing drop off locations for the car rental companies .Rent a car if you need to and you will have a great time.

Reply to: Renting a car to drive to PM
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted