We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety by El Cid, Now Jade and Grand Residences, Punta Brava

4 posts
Save Topic
Safety by El Cid, Now Jade and Grand Residences, Punta Brava

I was walking along the Puerto Morelos beach (south of Grand Residences) with my 2 teenage daughters the other day when we noticed three or four shanty shacks along the back of the beach near the foliage area where, in the past, we searched and found lovely shells. There were men sitting around drinking beer who looked like they were living there. The hut was a mess, made from trash. They were staring at us and making my daughters feel uncomfortable.

Does anyone know whether or not we should be concerned for our safety when exploring the beaches in that area? is it safe to walk along the foliage area alone? Has the recent rise in crime in Puerto Morelos invaded the beaches?

Are there are any safety alerts we should know about before walking alone on the beach. The world is changing. Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
898 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety by El Cid, Now Jade and Grand Residences, Punta Brava

Just read this recently. Did you post this already? Or somewhere else?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,959 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety by El Cid, Now Jade and Grand Residences, Punta Brava

Tom posted this here

https:/…88723745

There is homeless people everywhere

The world is changing - NO - we need to change the world to get help these people

Maine
Level Contributor
232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety by El Cid, Now Jade and Grand Residences, Punta Brava

Years ago when staying in Puerto Morelos I saw what you described, some makeshift shanties. It was housing for men that were construction workers. Workers that came from the jungles to get work to provide for their families. They would work long hard days and save the money to bring back to the family. On such a LOW wage they can not afford conventional housing.They lived far enough away that they can't commute daily.This might be what you saw. Heck, they could have been workers at the AL you were staying at.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety by El Cid, Now Jade and Grand Residences, Punta Brava

I have walked by the area you are talking about many times. I have never been bothered. Is it safe, who knows. It is not safe for them to live there but they do. I don't believe it can be tied to crime or cartel violence at all.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety by El Cid, Now Jade and Grand Residences, Punta Brava

They are not homeless people. It is my understanding that they are paid to be there as part of a property ownership dispute. They represent a "owner's" presence on the property

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety by El Cid, Now Jade and Grand Residences, Punta Brava

I've heard the same as well...observers due to a property ownership dispute...discussion of furher development along Playa Brava.

I went with a friend last week. We didn't see anyone other than a few fellow shell pickers. We did have to tell the gate guards (before El Cid) that we had lunch reservations. Apparently, the powers that be don't want people to know about the land dispute and potential development.

I plan to go back next week. I only stay close to shore.

Reply to: Safety by El Cid, Now Jade and Grand Residences, Punta Brava
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted