We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay???

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay???

Hi all. Looking at PM to stay in Oct. Previously stayed at PDC which was great to be close to beach and restaurants. Is there nice 2-3 bedroom condos on beach but walking distance to restaurants and shops? I'm getting confused with things I've read with locations and distances in that area. Thanks in advance

7 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay???

If you are OK with walking, you can stay anywhere on the port-side or beach-side of Puerto Morelos. Staying in the colonia would require a car or figuring out public transit. There are many condos on the beach side that are within walking distance of the main square. Do you know that there is absolutely no comparison between PM and PDC??

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay???

Thanks PeterM. By my understanding PM is much quieter? I guess PDC was good for variety of eateries and place we stayed at was small but was only there 4 nights. This time will be a week so thought be nice to try different area. How far would walking from beach to restaurants be approx? Have kids with us!!

Edited: 19 January 2018, 12:09
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay???

Puerto Morelos beach community is long and thin. It is about 2km from one end to the other. You can walk anywhere. There are great google earth images there, so check it out.

Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
577 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay???

There are many restaurants along the road on the beach side. Puerto Morelos is way smaller than Playa del Carmen so don't sweat about walking distance. There are quite a few pizza places for the kids. If you like variety, try Salccicum food truck village. Since there's a hotel connecting to the restaurant, you can buy a drink or snack and use the hotel pool. Spend your evening at the town square. Sometimes there is little shows going on. And local vendors are there every weekend.

Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
802 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay???

There are restaurants 3 min., 5 min., 10 min. And a the most 15 minutes walking from anywhere. You are never more than 2 blocks to the beach. Restaurants radiate out from town square and along the beach. Look at a map to get a sense of distance and set up. The Colonia with some rental properties now is not walkable to the beach....well it is walkable but a bit more of a hike along a busy road. Stay anywhere on the north side of the commercial pier for easy access. We stay across from My Paradise Beach bar and it takes us ten minutes to town square but there are increasingly more cafes or restaurants opening up in the northish neighborhood. It's a super easy town to navigate. There are many food options for a town of its size!

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay???

Thanks everyone

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
888 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay???

just be careful when you are checking out accommodations - some places that say they are "in puerto Morelos" are actually quite a ways out of town...if you cannot determine a location, ask here and somebody will help you out...btw - we have stayed in town a couple of times with our kids (preteen at the time) and the walking from condo to town was no problemo at all...google map it (use the little walking guy, also), and you will get an idea of the town's layout.

Reply to: Where to stay???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted