We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado Royale Beach

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
El Dorado Royale Beach

I have just booked a 2 week stay at El Dorado Royale for April 2012 and have noted that some of the reviews describe the beach as not fantastic but a little rocky.

Can you tell me if it is possible to take long walks along the beach in either direction in front of the hotel and what can I expect of the condition of the beach. Also what other hotels are nearby.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,459 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado Royale Beach

They also have large sandbags offshore which act as a wave break

We had a great trip there but would not go back because of the beach and the sandbags

Edited: 13 December 2011, 22:02
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado Royale Beach

You cannot take a walk on the beach anywhere at this resort as the beach front is broken up into chunks. We did not have a problem with the sand bags as this is to protect from erosion but the beach is awful for those who like to take long walks and swim a lot in the ocean. You have to pick your way among the rocks to get in the water.

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado Royale Beach

Now you have me worried. I love to take long walks along the beach, my travel agent did not advise me of this.

Maybe my travel agent woul let me change hotel.

Can you suggest a similar type of hotel that has a great beach? I don't fancy Cancun and would prefer the transfer from the airport not to be too long.

I am a big fan of Punta Cana and love the beaches and have previously stayed at the Excellence (based on your recommendation) and last year the Iberostar Grand. We loved both of these hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado Royale Beach

Personally I like Cancun and prefer Live Aqua and LeBlanc there.

For the RM, if you enjoyed Excellence, perhaps check out Secrets Maroma Beach. It is nothing like EDR in terms of style - EDR is lush, large and has lovely and expansive grounds and SMB looks more like EPM, though with a much better beach.

El Dorado Seaside Suites may be an option but it is an hour from the airport. The beach is good, not great, but you are able to walk, and the resort itself is one of our favorites. There is also El Dorado Maroma, but this is a small resort versus EDR which is huge.

Otherwise, you might want to return to The Grand if that resort worked well for you.

Edited: 14 December 2011, 02:46
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Dorado Royale Beach

Thanks you for the info Caviargal.

I am still unsure what to do, I will be speaking to my travel agent tomorrow. However the EDR still does seem very appealing, due to its reviews and it is also great value.

On my earlier posting, when I mentioned that I had previously stayed at the Excellence in Punta Cana due to a recommendation, this recommendation came from a review from Flipflop Man, several years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,459 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Dorado Royale Beach

polkadot

The beach at EDR is nothing like as good as EPC - there is no comparison

If you want a decent beach in that area of Mexico you may want to look at Secrets Maroma Beach

Batesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Dorado Royale Beach

While you cannot take long walks directly on the beach, you can certainly take long walks on the walkways where you are always in view of the beach and can, at any time, walk down to the water or even stop to relax at one of the many beach chairs or beds. I loved the resort!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Dorado Royale Beach

If you head north past the resort you can walk for miles and miles without encountering any rocky areas. Keep in mind you are leaving the relative security of the resort but my husband has gone for 2 hour walks in that direction without any issues. It is also the area where the horseback and camel rides that the resort offers run along the beach so there are usually staff people in the general area. EDR is a wonderful resort and there are options for nice beach walks so don't give up on it yet!

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Dorado Royale Beach

Thank you Holababy1 and SaintsFanatics, you have both defintely reassured me.

I had a long chat with my travel agent yesterday and also looked at hundreds of traveller photo's showing the beach area and on many you can see for miles along the beach.

Based on the many positive reviews of the EDR and the feedback from my travel agent, who has been to the resort herself, I have decided to stay with this resort, I feel confident that I will love it.

10. Re: El Dorado Royale Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2012, 18:19
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Morelos