We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
4 reviews
"super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

Hello,

I am about to purchase a train ticket from Florence to Rome on the FRECCIAROSSA train and a different ticket from Rome to Caserta (visiting family there) on a FRECCIARGENTO train. both trains offer a "super economy" ticket for 1st and 2nd class.

i was about to buy the "super economy" 1st class ticket since that's the same price as the "economy" 2nd class, but I'm curious as to what the difference is between super economy, economy and base for both classes?

also, are the super economy tickets similar to the 'mini fare' tickets where they have different stipulations?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,226 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: "super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

The only difference is the price. Trenitalia operates like many airlines: buy in advance and get cheap tickets.

The Mini fares have been discontinued, and have been replaced by the Economy and Super Economy fares. Check the T&C, as there are restrictions on refunds and changes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: "super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

oh i didnt realize that mini fares were discontinued.

ok so it makes sense for me to buy the super economy on 1st class, especially since that's the same price as regular economy in 2nd class. (super economy 2nd class is sold out) would you agree?

thanks so much!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: "super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

Here is more information about Trenitalia's new ECONOMY and SUPER ECONOMY PROMOTIONAL FARES (with restrictions):

tripadvisor.com/…41795382

Looks like you've found a pretty good deal for first class travel, as long as you understand that the ticket you plan to purchase is nonchangeable and nonrefundable!!!

Are there any ECONOMY fares in second class which would be cheaper? If so, consider that a majority of travellers find that first class on the Freccia trains is not particularly cost justifiable. Nevertheless, if you want more exclusivity, first class is the "way to go".

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: "super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

hi GAC, Thanks so much for you help, as usual!. No, the 2nd class super economy is sold out.

i decided to go ahead and purchase these since i think they're a great price also, i registered and went to purchase and the website wont let me log in, i registered and it keeps saying my log in user ID and password are incorrect. i am certain of both, so it is very strange! any you heard of these issues from others on the forum? i am having a lot of problems w this website. do you think i can purchase these with out being a registered customer?

thanks!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: "super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

Yes, you should indeed be able to purchase these tickets without registering with Trenitalia.

In my posting above, I asked whether there were cheaper ECONOMY fares for second class (versus SUPER ECONOMY fares for first class). If so, it's an interesting tradeoff .....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: "super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

yeah it is an interesting tradeoff. no there is not a cheaper economy fare for 2nd class. the economy for 2nd class is 29 euros, the super economy is sold out. i imagine that one would be the cheaper option. but the 1st class super economy is also 29 euros, so it makes sense for me to get the 1st class super economy for the same price, IF this website will ever let me!!

Malta
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: "super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

I am also looking for information about the Super Economy Train tickets. I need to buy tickets from Rome Termini to Naples Central Station. I could not get them online. Is it possible to get the Super Economy tickets days in advance personally from Termini?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: "super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

Trenitalia SUPER ECONOMY and ECONOMY (as well as regular "BASE" fare) tickets are all available for purchase online up to 120 days beforehand (provided that schedules have been uploaded, which is not always the case).

www.trenitalia.it

Tickets can also be purchased in person in Italy, from an automated ticket machine, staffed ticket window at the train station, or authorized travel agency, up to the departure time of the train in question (and subject to seat availability).

HOWEVER, the cheapest SUPER ECONOMY tickets (and even less cheap ECONOMY tickets) will usually NOT be available at the last moment, and sometimes even several days prior to train departure.

The absolutely cheapest SUPER ECONOMY tickets (9 Euros in second class) are usually available only when purchase FAR in advance (up to 120 days beforehand).

If you're looking for the GREATEST cost savings, and are willing to accept a nonrefundable and non-changeable ticket, you MUST purchase the ticket as close as possible to 120 days beforehand, or risk having to pay more than 9 Euros (19, 29, 39 Euros, etc.). Sometimes, the cheapest tickets can STILL be found much less than 120 days beforehand, but you're taking a chance in waiting.

Competitor ITALO TRENO has its own discounted fares:

"ECONOMY", "LOW COST" and "PROMO". Make sure you read the rules and restrictions of these fares, which have restrictions very similar to Trenitalia's discounted fares.

www.italotreno.it

BE CAREFUL when purchasing tickets FAR in advance: it's common for travel plans to change, often resulting in a FORFEITURE of the ticket purchased at the promotional fare!!!

Malta
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: "super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

Thank you for the information. I have already tried to book online but tickets are very dear. I wanted the tickets for the first week in December.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: "super economy" train tickets- what is the difference?

Purchased some super economy tickets for our Italy trip. Bought them about 4 months in advance, I think.