We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

Hi all! My husband and I will be visiting Airlie Beach in April and am wondering which route we should take to get home to Los Angeles, California. Do we need to leave from POP airport or is there a better airport to leave from? Also,what is the best city to connect from and fly internationally? Do I need to book a domestic flight from Airlie Beach to Melbourne, Brisbane or Sydney and then book an international flight home to LA? I am trying to avoid staying a night in any of those cities. I'd rather take a domestic flight and then transfer straight to my international flight. Is that even possible? Thank you!!!

11 replies to this topic
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

There is a typo. I meant travel from PPP. (PROSPERPINE)

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
958 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

If you are in Airlie Beach then your options for airports are Proserpine or Hamilton Island, PPP will probably be easier/cheaper to get to. Any of the three major cities you mention will have flights to Los Angeles but without looking up all the timetables I suspect you will have to spend a night in one of those cities to make the connection as Los Angeles flights generally leave in the morning or early afternoon, not leaving you much time to connect. Use Skyscanner or Hipmunk to put in your departure and arrival ports and see what the options are.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

Brisbane is the closest to PPP/Hamilton Island - really up to which airline you are flying to LA.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

Hi! We are using our American Airline points to fly. I believe that covers Quantas airline as well.

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
958 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

Qantas flight from Brisbane leaves at 10.20 am, from Sydney at 9.45 am, or AA flight from Sydney at 10.15 am. No way are you going to avoid staying overnight somewhere unless you take late night Hawaiian Airlines from Brisbane with stopover in Honolulu but couldn't use your points then.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

I figured that's what I was going to have to do but wanted to see if I could avoid it. We are starting in Sydney, then Uluru and finishing up in Airlie Beach. I suppose we can fly back to Sydney, grab dinner and walk around a bit and then take an international flight to LAX from there the next morning. Does that sound like the right thing to do?

Thank you for letting me talk it through!

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
958 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

Sure, that works. Maybe stay at Rydges at the airport if your budget can stand it, then you just have to walk across the road to International Departures.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

Since you’re ready spending time in Sydney at the start of your trip, why nkt overnight in Brisbane? It’s a nice city. If you can get there mid ftermoon, you could hop on a free city hopper ferry and experience the city from the water. Perhaps get off for a stroll at Southbank. Then have dinner at Eagle st Pier with lovely river views of Story Bridge illuminated.....

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

Ok, I've decided that after we leave Airlie Beach, we will travel to either Brisbane for one night or Melbourne for one night before we take our international flight home the next day. Do you recommend one city over the other? We will be arriving and checking into our hotel in the afternoon so we'll really only have a half day to walk around.

I am a pack-it-all-in kind of girl so I'm really not looking to get to the city and relax, I'd love to see and do as much as possible in that little amount of time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach

Brisbane - closer to PPP and easier to get into main part of city for your limited time.

Reply to: Traveling to Los Angeles from Airlie Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted