We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Week road trip

Leeton, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
5 Week road trip

Is it unrealistic to think that Adelaide to Darwin to Broome to Perth and back to Adelaide is doable in a 5 week period? Looking at doing it during 2018/19 Christmas school holidays. We are set up to be self contained for up to 5 days at a time.

I know that there is large amounts of driving.

4 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Week road trip

Well lets do that maths. neary 9000km in 4 weeks maybe ? You will be doing heaps of driving and for smaller reward.

And you are travelling to the north in the wet season. Are you camping ? eek. Temps in the middle can be around 40 deg and when you get to the north it can be hot and humid and rainy ie the wet season. The teps up there will be mid 30's with humidity possibly 80-90%

YOu will find 4wd tracks closed and you will not be able to access Home Valley, El Questro and maybe parts of the Gibb iwll be shut. Purnulul will be shut as well. Once you head to Broome you cant swim at the beach and the possibility of cyclones down the north WA coast is likely . Its prob not until Exmouth maybe you can swim ? But unpatrolled beaches and sharks.

If I was you I would look at heading to SW Perth area and enjoy a better climate unless you have already done that area. Hardly anyone camps in the north at that time of the year for good reasons. Oh and the mozzies and the crocs etc.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 15:48
Leeton, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Week road trip

Thanks, We are still interested in going to Darwin, we are aware of the temps as our current temp where we live is 42 today and 46 tomorrow so we are somewhat used to it.

I think that I will investigate a bit more

Thank you

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Week road trip

Great

Camping is a bit different to living in it:} Plus the humidity is very different to dry heat.

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Week road trip

Not to mention the mosquitoes... In 5 weeks, you could do Adelaide to Perth and back. But your initial plan is I fear too ambitious, and during the wrong season.

Edited: 18 December 2017, 18:06
Reply to: 5 Week road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted