We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare prices

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Airfare prices

I fly from Bangkok to Melbourne return every three months. Normally pay $700-$750 now can't get anything under $1200.What's going on? Always use Qantas or Emirates. Usually book 6 weeks ahead.

10 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,676 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Airfare prices

What date are you looking at? Is it school holidays?

There are plenty of other airlines which will be much cheaper anyway. I definitely would not choose Qantas on that route.

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
2. Re: Airfare prices

No would not be school holiday season. Just that I have been flying from Bangkok to Melbourne return every 3 months for the past 2 years or more and can't understand the sudden jump in price. I even looked at Jetstar and they're up around $1000 plus. I did notice it was cheaper the reverse direction ie.Melbourne to Bangkok return, so it could something at the Thailand end.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,676 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Airfare prices

Thai have return flights from MEL for <$850. It pays to shop around!

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
4. Re: Airfare prices

Like I said it's cheaper from Melbourne to Bangkok, but as I've said also I'm flying FROM Bangkok to Melbourne return to Bangkok. I always check Thai airlines first.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Airfare prices

Yes Melbourne is much cheaper than flying out of Sydney ,this is what I do. I go three times per year. I have been getting Sydney -Bangkok -Chiang Mai for under 700 AUD on Thai.

.When I fly Emirates they are more, however the time suits me better.

I just checked Thai Air, Mel to Bangkok Return. Flying out on the 1 Aug and coming back on 30. Price is 710 AUD.

Chok Dee

If you go to Skyscanner .com and look. I normally get my tickets from Bestjet.. They might charge a fee depending on the card you use..

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
6. Re: Airfare prices

As I've tried to explain I'm flying from Bangkok to Melbourne return. I LIVE IN THAILAND. I know fares from Australia are cheaper. I'm looking at fares 6 weeks away at this stage and generally stay in Australia for 2 months or so.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 10:30
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Airfare prices

I just checked you could look a Thai /Jetstar for about 976 AUD. I would book it with Jetabroad. Have used them before.

Chok Dee

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Airfare prices

<<<<I LIVE IN THAILAND. >>>>

No need to shriek at strangers trying to assist you. And your profile says you live in Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
9. Re: Airfare prices

Thanks, yes I saw that, I use Skyscanner mainly. But my original question why have Qantas and emirates even Jetstar put up their prices by $400-$500 from 3 months ago, as I said I've been flying this route for 2 years or more with the same airlines. Thanks anyway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
144 reviews
10. Re: Airfare prices

The confusion is understandable.

Reply to: Airfare prices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted