We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation destinations easy to get to from Cairns?

Save Topic
Vacation destinations easy to get to from Cairns?

We are two people from Toronto headed to Australia in mid-August for a wedding in Cairns. We'll have two weeks off are flying into Sydney and spending a few days there first before flying to Cairns. I'd been thinking of flying to Hawaii after the celebrations and spending the following week in Maui, to break up the journey from Australia back to Toronto, but soon realized that a rental car is a necessity to get around most islands, and neither my husband nor I can drive.

Wondering if there are any other places of interest that are fairly easy and inexpensive to fly to from Cairns - that will ideally help break up the journey back to Toronto and don't require much driving while we're there? (I've looked into Bali but it's quite expensive to fly back to Toronto, and I'd prefer to spend longer than a week in Thailand - I know these are two of the most common places, other than New Zealand but I know that's ALL driving.)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
2 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
9,984 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation destinations easy to get to from Cairns?

You could fly to Hamilton Island from Cairns for a nice break. Spending time on the Gold Coast and Brisbane is another option. It does not shorten your flight home, but there really isnt anywhere that will if the "not driving" is a criteria.

I don't know how fights would work to Japan? No driving but the heat is stiffling in August.

San Francisco is alwaysfun or a holiday.....there are direct flights from Brisbane.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation destinations easy to get to from Cairns?

It's a bit difficult to answer - Australia's not near anything, except New Zealand.

Make sure you spend some time in / around Cairns, a place totally different to Toronto. August is a magnificent time to visit the reef and all those other wonderful things around there.

Principle stopover options, on the way home, would be Fiji or Hawaii, but I'm not sure how these connect with Toronto.

Another option is to fly Cathay Pacific, via Hong Kong. I think they fly out of Cairns, so no backtracking.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Reply to: Vacation destinations easy to get to from Cairns?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted