We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

My question is based on your experience for making claims.

Yes I want a cheap travel insurance deal but not at the expense should something happen that my claim becomes a nightmare.

I know that you are meant to read the PDS but some times they make it so tiresome you skim across the long winded statement and miss the small things that you may need to claim on.

I'm looking at 1 cover comprehensive (underwritten by LLoyds), QBE or Chubb.(the dearest).

if you have had an experience with claiming with any of these companies and have great success or the opposite please share your experience so I can weigh up what to do. And of course re-read the PDS.

The travel agents push for covermore but they seem to be quite expensive.

I know the benefit if my travel agent takes it out then they can also speak on my behalf should something terrible happen and they can put plans in place.

Look forward to opinions

9 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

The travel agents just gets a large commission, that is it.. If you finish up in hospital ...they will run a mile.

The best insurance is the one you do not make a claim on. I have done more than 30 international trips. The level of cover has more to do with the countries you are travelling to and the complexity of the trip. Add in a travel agent insurance might cover the agent more than you.

I now take the basic cover.

In modern times luggage rarely goes missing , passport lost not common. do you plan to rent cars. ?

Most policy are under written by a large company.

Good Luck

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

While I shop around I usually end up with 1Cover. Thankfully nothing too serious has happened. Just once I lost my 10 day Swiss Rail pass half way through. I kept a record of all my expenditure on trains, ferries and cable cars for the rest of the week and sent them to 1Cover. They paid me the total amount of money, a couple hundred dollars, in a few weeks without question.

Barossa Valley...
Level Contributor
187 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

Always make sure you are covered for Medical emergencies, most people need to claim for lost items as described by previous posters but getting sick and having to be flown home could cost a bomb. I looked after a man who suffered a stoke in Norway, his insurance paid for Hospital stay (3 months), his wife,s expenses while she stayed there, the flight home with his stretcher occupying the entire centre bank of seats, as well as a Doctor and a nurse who flew back to Australia with him.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

Just remember, the agent is the agent of the insurer, not you. If you use an Insurance Broker, they work for you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

The last place you should be buying Travel insurance is from a Travel Agent. As noted above, they will be acting as an agent of the Insurer, ( which will be disclosed in 0.0001 Point pale grey print on the PDS) and will not give a flying fruitbat if you have an issue with the Insurer.

Frequent travellers whom I know well rely on their top level credit card insurance and have had largish ($25k+) claims paid without a hassle. I use COTA & have an annual policy. I can’t remember the underwriters at the moment, but had a somewhat complicated medevac in Nepal a couple of years ago & could not fault any aspect of their claims handling. My next year’s premium did not increase significantly, only the usual age increase. ( Methuselah is my younger brother ).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

There are only a dozen or so people who regularly answer questions on the Australia forum, so it is unlikely that any of us will have any recent broad experience with travel insurance. Maybe try Google for (say) "Covermore reviews".

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

Thanks everyone for your input. Hopefully whichever insurance I take out - I will never find out whether they were good or not and don't have to claim.

I also have insurance from my credit card cover but am never convinced that it will be covered. Yes I have read the PDS on them but better to be safe than sorry for the small extra cost. In the scheme of the trip it's insignificant.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,396 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

I use Covermore for every type of trip, from Antarctica expeditions to standard cruises and anything basically out of Aus. Have used them since around 2006/7. Have made several claims including for things I did not expect to be covered and it was always processed speedily.

I have never purchased via an agent - I don't use agents for any of my trips.

I always book direct for myself via the Covermore website.

Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple

Thanks

Reply to: Travel Insurance for Europe for an Australian couple
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted