We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?

7 posts
Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?

is apex a good company to rent a car?

i want to save money and the detail was like this.

Pick Up

Melbourne Airport

Wed 13 Jun 2018 at 09:15 p.m. (After Hours)

Drop Off

Melbourne Airport

Mon 16 Jul 2018 at 08:00 a.m.

Hire Period

33 days

After Hours

1 x After Hour Pick Up $35.00

Vehicle

modify

Hyundai Elantra / Similar

Mid Size Sedan $621.06

Extras

Vehicle Hire

1 x $2,750 Excess included

1 x Unlimited Kilometers included

Rental Options

No rental options added

Total Cost: AU$656.06

I'm wondering if i dont choose Excess Reduction Cover(full zero excess)

Do they ask me for paying 5000$ deposit? I am just using my saving card(mastercard)

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,890 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?

compare with www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au - Apex price looks good.

Are you OK with $2,750 excess - any damage/scratch to the car and Apex could charge you up to $2,750.

What hold will they put on your credit card ?

7 posts
2. Re: Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?

As long as i don't damage the car, I pay nothing right? So does it mean i will have to put 2750$ for deposit there?

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?

The hire company may put a hold on your credit/debit card for the excess. If you have sufficent funds to cover that hit to your card, then it should not pose a problem to you. However if you need those funds while on holiday, it might be an issue for you.

CHeers,

UF

Edited: 09 June 2018, 19:56
7 posts
4. Re: Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?

Does it mean the maximum hold they put on my card is 2750$ ? So it means the maximum money I might pay if i make a accident would be 2750$?? How does it work because the car would cost more than 2750$$

I"m confused.

Bungendore...
Level Contributor
663 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?

It means that you will need to pay up to the stated excess amount (which in some other countries is called the deductible amount) towards any damages; anything beyond that is covered by the hire/insurance.

Presumably you have done your research and are sure that hiring a car for the entire duration of your stay is a practical option?

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?

On your other post you say you want to hire a car to "do groceries" etc because your girlfriend lives "in the suburbs".

You could make an immediate saving by not picking/dropping your car up at the airport. Can we know which suburb so we can help identify an alternative?

Additionally your girlfriend presumably does her day-to-day activities without a car - you may only need it for shorter terms to head out into our countryside.

Cheers,

UF

7 posts
7. Re: Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?

Thank you so much for your reply, She lives in grafton street albans park. yes i'm only thinking of using the car for groceries in woolworths. So it's pretty expensive for doing just that.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 07:15
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?

Just a query on this there is a Grafton st in St. Albans park which is a suburb of Geelong I couldn’t find a similar address in Melbourne if that’s the case a car would certainly be useful as public transport in Geelong is not as good as in Melbourne. If the address you have given is correct you could catch the Gull bus from Melbourne airport to Geelong and hire a car from there. Or alternatively get a V Line train to Geelong.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 07:27
Reply to: Visiting melbourne and want to hire car for a month.Apex?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted