We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

7 posts
Save Topic
What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

I'm visiting melbourne for a month, my girlfriend's home is in suburb, so I'm planning to rent a car for using groceries , etc.

I'm really confused because price comparing site like kayak.com they don't specify anything about insurance.

It says 650 aud dollors for 34days for toyota corolla.

Does it include any basic insurance. Or nothing at all so i pay to pay a lot more?

Edited: 09 June 2018, 19:38
10 replies to this topic
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

All rental cars in Australia are insured but they carry a very large excess for which is the maximum you are responsible for, up to about $4500 depending on the company. You can reduce this excess, often to zero, by paying an additional fee of up to about $35 per day. Or you can use insurance from a third party such as insurance attached to your credit card, travel insurance or a seperate policy. However, if you use a third party, the car rental agency may put a large hold on your credit equivalent to the amount of the excess which would be unavailable to you to spend.

I prefer to take out the excess reduction insurance with the car rental agency but it’s up to you.

All the best.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,259 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

compare to www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au

read this link on excess insurance

https:/…car-hire-excess-and-hidden-fees

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

what if i don't paying an additional fee of up to about $35 per day?

Do i still get additional charge for nothing there. What rent company do you recommend? I'm thinking of Apex.

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

vroomvroomvroom.com.au I found it expensive. So..

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

vroomvroom is a comparison site. Those are pretty much the prices you have to pay in Australia for recognised brands.

You get what you pay for. There are cheaper companies out there that may have options that do not appeal, like out of the way rental locations or limited after rental service.

CHeers,

UF

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,371 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

If you don’t pay the additional $35/day, then if you have an accident the rental company will expect you to pay the insurance excess immediately. How much this is depends on the company but it’s usually around $3,000 for most firms.

Really, I’d avoid the hassle of car rental and use public transport, and just shop more frequently.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 22:02
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

Exactly as YF said, if you don’t pay for insurance either through the rental company or with a seperate policy, you will be liable for at least the cost of the excess and they will immediately charge that to your credit card. In addition, some car rental companies may also choose to charge you for lost revenue while the car is been repaired. Renting a car without insurance is a very bad idea, they will likely put an extra hold o; your credit card as a security bond as well as the hold for the excess.

All the best.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 15:20
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

I always go East Coast Rentals. Because you have to take a 10 minute shuttle bus from the airport to their hire company they are much cheaper than big brands. I've probably used them 10-20 times as I regularly go to Melbourne and hire a car. I also request extra insurance so if an accident occurred I'm not facing $3000.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

I noticed on your other thread you mentioned that your girlfriend lives in StAlbans Park which is a suburb of Geelong not Melbourne if that’s correct it could impact on the advice you are getting re hiring a car.

Mentioned in this post
Geelong
Geelong
City of Greater Geelong, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,259 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?

OP, in regards insurance did you read the links which explains how it works here ?

And yes, Geelong is not Melbourne unless you plan to hire the car and then drive to Geelong - look at google maps.

PS seems a large cost to hire a car just to go shopping....................

Edited: 10 June 2018, 16:08
Mentioned in this post
Geelong
Geelong
City of Greater Geelong, Australia
Reply to: What company do you choose when you rent a car in australia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted