We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great barrier reef questions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Great barrier reef questions

I do not know much about Australia. I am a padi certified open water diver. Eventually I would like to see the great barrier reef. Is it best seen with diving? What parts of australia would pair well with visiting the great barrier reef on a two week itinerary. Would I need to rent a car to most effectively get around australia? I almost never do this in foreign countries, but that is because most places I visit are extremely mass transit friendly.

7 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great barrier reef questions

Wht time of year are you considering coming?this makes abig difference in what is recommended.

Also, would you just want to do one or teo dive/snorkel trips, or focus on a whole week with a couple of Live-aboards?

Australia is about the same size as the continenaal USA so driving between destinations is not possible.

Depending on where you go, you may want a car for more efficient use of your time.

A popular split of your tme is the Bridge/Rock/Reef triangle - Sydney (no car required) Uluru, Cairns/Port Douglas (car may be useful in these locations).

Do some more research and think about time of year and we can make less generic suggestions.

Cheers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great barrier reef questions

Maybe may or june. Would probably just do a small handful of dives. I like diving but I wouldn't want to make the whole trip just about that. It would be one of the highlights though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great barrier reef questions

When are you coming ?

Cairns/PD for diving and reef or Lady Elliot Island or Heron Island. Apart from diving, what are your interests ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,506 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great barrier reef questions

Budget is also a factor to consider.

For great diiving you also have places like Orpehous, Haggerstone and Lizard Islands but they are somewhat in the high end of $$

SBs suggestion is the standard "I don't know what I want to see but I am going to Aus" perfect for a starting point

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great barrier reef questions

I would like to keep costs down but that being said its the great barrier reef so its pretty much a once in a lifetime experience and I wouldn't want to miss something amazing to save a few dollars. Other than diving my interests are seeing the sights. I like hiking etc but I wouldn't be looking to do any multi-day treks. Seeing wildlife and great scenery is something I love. I also enjoy cities, museums and nightlife. While I like beaches I am not one of those people who enjoys just sitting on a beach all day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,506 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great barrier reef questions

If the diving component is priority and you are happy to have standard style or eco friendly accommodation then look at Heron or Lady Elliot.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great barrier reef questions

May or June is a good time of year for the Reef/Rock/Bridge combo - not too hot in FNQ or Uluru and not super cold in Sydney (mind you, I was in Sydney this week and needed scarf and puffer jacket, but I come from a warm climate).

Other options would be to focus on Sydney and South East Queensland/Sunshine Coast/Fraser Coast (LEI, Fraser Island from Hervey Bay). You could split your time with five nights in Sydney and the rest moving around SEQ with a rental car. This would give you a chance to see native animals up close at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane, do some lovely hikes in the Glasshouse Mountains/Montville areas, spend a little bit of time at the beach and then explore the islands for your diving/exploring.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Reply to: Great barrier reef questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted