We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vivid at Taronga Zoo

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Vivid at Taronga Zoo

We are coming to Sydney next Saturday (June 16) with family ( 6 adults, a 5 and a 2.5 yo) and have 5.30pm Tickets for the Zoo. As we are staying at The Rocks, the plan is to catch a ferry across the harbour and then the bus up to the zoo entrance. I have heard about the terrible crowds. Any advice on what time we should aim to catch the ferry? Will there be line ups there? And the bus.... are they running regularly? How long is the walk through the light display? I would appreciate any advice from those who have done this same outing to help us avoid the pitfalls. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
The Rocks
The Rocks
7,714 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,320 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vivid at Taronga Zoo

Well the Zoo is a ticketed event so crowds are limited/controlled. The bus meets the ferry and then drops you off at the top entrance.

Catch the 4.40 or 5pm ferry (takes 12 minutes) - this gives you time to get off the ferry, catch the bus and then be ready for 5.30 entrance - if me I would be on the 4.40pm ferry so then no rush.

Now when you come back to CQ on the ferry there will be crowds as this is the last night of Vivid but the ferry let's you see the Opera House, Harbour Bridge stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Harbour Bridge
Sydney Harbour Bridge
11,850 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vivid at Taronga Zoo

this report was posted on 30 May 2018

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g25…

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vivid at Taronga Zoo

Thanks. Great information!!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vivid at Taronga Zoo

I was at vivid last weekend and the crowds for ferries were quite long at both Barangaroo and Circular Quay so I’d try and get there a little earlier, maybe 4pm or so. I know that was a long weekend but it’s the last weekend of Vivid so better safe than sorry. If the crowds for the ferry are not too long, there’s plenty to look at around the Quay.

All the best

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,593 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,807 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Reply to: Vivid at Taronga Zoo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted