We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography road trip from Darwin to Perth.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Photography road trip from Darwin to Perth.

I'm planning a road trip from Darwin to Perth in July and wanting to get others input on the must go to places for photography. This will be my 5th road trip, longest one was Alice Springs to Perth, so I'm pretty comfortable with the travel but know they are so many amazing places to see and very limited on time.

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12,136 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Photography road trip from Darwin to Perth.

As usual, first question - how long do you have for the trip ?

And driving a car (sealed roads only) or 4WD/off road ?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Photography road trip from Darwin to Perth.

so we arent guessing when we reply- give us a bit more info- also what has your research revealed, two way trip/ one way/ hirecar/ unsealed/ camping etc etc.

its a but deflating when we put our effort into replying and a whole lot more info gets revealed later. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Photography road trip from Darwin to Perth.

Hi, it's only 7-10 days (I know very short but it's just driving and photographing). It will be a 4WD/campervan so camping but probably won't be doing unsealed road driving, one way. I'm thinking Darwin to Bungle bungles, Broome, Karijini (I know that puts on extra 600kms on the journey but think it's worth it) but then back to Port Hedland along the coast with Shark Bay/Monkey Mia before getting to Perth.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,805 posts
170 reviews
4. Re: Photography road trip from Darwin to Perth.

7-10 days. You will spend most of our time in the car. I would urge you to reconsider. However, if you want to do it, Bungle Bungles and Karijini Np are musts IMO.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,180 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Photography road trip from Darwin to Perth.

With 7-10 days you won't have much time to stop and take photographs.Since you really need to be not driving outside of daylight ares, it would be 5 full days of daylight driving. So, if you take seven days, you could spend about four hours a day stopping for meals and photos, with ten days you'd have five and a half hours for meals and photos.

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
102 reviews
6. Re: Photography road trip from Darwin to Perth.

7-10 days is plenty of time, but if you are serious about the photography, I guess you are planning your itinerary around shooting at or just before sunset (after a day's drive) and at sunrise (before a day's drive).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,342 posts
243 reviews
7. Re: Photography road trip from Darwin to Perth.

A few thoughts:

Dont forget you need to factor in (as some others have already suggested) that this is a massive driving trip of over 4,300 km. That's 45 hours absolute minimum sitting in the driver's seat alone, plus all your time at stops enroute. And its worth mentioning you that you can't divide that up neatly to equivalent driving times per day because towns become increasingly less plentiful the further north you go, so places to sleep, refueling, food/water and dealing with any vehicle problems become pre-planning requirements, not options. Port Hedland to Broome is 550 km for example.

If you are doing this in a hire car then there is likely to be an expensive ($1,000 +) one way fee so they can get the car back again. You might also need to check that you can take the vehicle into another state.

Itinerary ideas: - here's one for 13 days Perth to Broome - plenty of others if you google it.

https://www.drivenow.com.au/travel-centre/it…

Edited: 17 June 2018, 23:27
Reply to: Photography road trip from Darwin to Perth.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted