We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2018, 14:05
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,428 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

A review belongs to one person, at one time, based solely on their dining experience that specific day.

Millions of people around the world will dine in a place just once when travelling. They are just as entitled to review that place as a local who dines there regularly.

Everyone has to start with that one first review. Just because you have a paltry few more than them doesn't make your reviews more valid than theirs. Just as your review is equal to those reviewers who have tens of thousands of reviews to their name.

<<<<Your reviews do influence other diners.>>>>

And that would be the point of Trip Advisor right? Of course sensible eaters do in fact read many reviews in order to make their decisions, rather than simply taking the word of one.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,688 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

It makes some people feel good to vent to the world. That's the power that the internet gives to everybody.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,428 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

Indeed. Complaints are common. Compliments are rare. Our motto in just about every place of employment of mine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

The TA review system is flawed. There is no verification on the poster and claims. The system has been manipulated by angry customers, business owners and competition alike before.

However, after saying that, it is the right of any customer to post a review. Good, bad or indifferent. To be fair, if I visit a town for one night, I'm not going to have any history to go by but that one experience. The system relies on having enough reviews so that the average is the true reflection. There will be bad nights but enough good experiences will balance that out. Reading between the lines, so to speak.

On the flipside, look at the stink the app healthengine stirred up. They will only publish good reviews of medical practices and will actually edit reviews until it sounds good! That is crazy and make the whole process meaningless.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,232 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

With due respect to claim that places do a great job 99% of the time can be stretching it.

Some of my negative reviews have been mostly because places have changed hands and the new owners just didn’t have the passion, like the cash cow they thought they had purchased.

If somewhere does a good job 99% of the time and I’ve just paid close to $1000 to eat there and it’s not even close to goo, I don’t think that’s acceptable.

If there is one consistent complain, eg time for food service, then you can probably assume it’s a problem they have when they are busy... so if you know you are gong when they will be busy then you either choose elsewhere or be prepared.

Seasoned readers look at the complaint as, eg there is one for Saffire where the reviewer wasn’t a guest and got upset because they were walking around the rooms and asked to leave. That’s an unreasonable review. It doesn’t reflect on the accommodation at all.

OTOH I’ve been somewhere and the guest was entirely unreasonable, requesting things that just couldn’t be done due to the remote location (Africa). The accommodation bent over backwards to do everything they could but a terrible review was written. That’s where management responses are of value.

It’s up to the reader to make decision as to whether the reviews are sensible. The more information in a review the better for others. If a company really cares about the reviews they should try to at least respond to some, and if 99% of the time they are great then 80% of the time the reviews should show this.

I have to say I use the number of reviews, posters reviewing history (ie are they are whinger); do they stay/eat at similar types of places to me as a guide.

Mentioned in this post
Saffire Freycinet
Saffire Freycinet
634 Reviews
Coles Bay, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,272 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

This is odd ... are you saying we need to be regulars to write a review good or bad?

I'd like to suggest reviews are not about being "nice" ... they are about your experience at that time.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

I have written some very harsh reviews, but also some excellent reviews. I write the review on my one time experience and give as much detail to make it clear to the reader as to what exactly the issues were for me. I am not going to go back to a place that I didn't like and gave a bad review. That makes me one time visitor and shouldn't disqualify me from posting a review.

I am fully aware that my review can influence the reader and make a difference to a business. However, I don't see it as my problem, even though I am sympathetic and perhaps not as harsh, if they seem to try.

A smart reader can sort out genuine from fake reviews.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
521 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

I received a barrage of hate private messages over a review I gave to a tour company. The company had an average score of 5 and I gave it a 3. What the people don’t understand is when you pay over $20,000 for a service, you expect similar service to others on your tour.

But the cost is irrelevant. Especially when one is travelling, the biggest cost is time. Waiting for a stretch of time for a coffee or service when you have limited time in a place should be shared so others are aware and make an informed decision. Likewise businesses that are welcoming also need mentioning.

What TA has shown me is how owners and managers of businesses react. Just reading some of the responses by some businesses in Port Douglas has been enough to steer me away. The reviews did not do that but the offensive response from management did.

Most people, you will find, have enough common sense to deduce if the reviewer was being unreasonable and petty. I find some of these amusing but take them with a grain of salt.

The TA community has helped me over the years by their feedback and suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Oz
Level Contributor
14,272 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

Hi,

Maybe we need a review of reviewers to test their veracity and consistency.

My teams motto used to be"the difficult we do at once the impossible may take a little longer". Often they did, bless em. Now thanks to numerous restructures (read emasculations) the team is no more.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,232 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Contributors, Negative Reviews.

Anna,

I just read your review.

The owners response does say a lot more.

Of course his guide was excellent when the employer was on board.

As for sharing around. Having done several safari in Africa, one solo, my guides have always made it clear from the outset that rotation is an expectation. On one tour being the youngest and solo one of the other guests said I should stay in the very back seat. The guide was very clear that we were to change positions in order to give equal experiences.

No one should be expected to arrive early to grab a seat... it’s supposed to be a holiday and relaxing not a race for survival of the fittest..

That response to me says don’t book with us..... more than any negative review ever could....