We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

I have never visited Australia before but have been invited by an elderly relative, who frankly has been very ill and suggested I should not leave it too long.

They are based in the Sydney area, I have friends on the Gold Coast and if this may be a once only trip I'd like to also visit Ayers Rock. I couldn't head off until early July at the earliest but realistically how soon after this would be a good time to go?

11 replies to this topic
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,873 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

How long do you have for the trip?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12,121 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

Mid July is our school holidays so can be busy at Uluru. As a above, how long do you have for the visit ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,892 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

The only time you really wouldn’t want to visit Uluru is in high summer. So, July -October would be ideal.

Any time is fine for the Gold Coast.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 05:36
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

Avoiding school holidays is a good idea, but any time of year is good for Sydney - sure you may want warm jacket, scarf and hat, but it is a beautiful city regardless of the weather.

Gold Cost will be like summer for a Londoner in July or August - warm sunny days, cool nights (and below freezing some nights in the hinterland).

Uluru - warm during the day, possibly below freezing at night.

It seems that you should not leave it too long - usual advice would be to come in September or October when Sydney is warming up, but don't do that if it means you will miss seeing the person you are coming to visit.

Cheers.

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

Thanks all. I’m going to try and come for at least 3 weeks.

All seems good advice. Cheers!

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

Thanks all. I’m going to try and come for at least 3 weeks.

All seems good advice. Cheers!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

Three weeks is a lovely length of time for three destinations.

Cheers

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

Thanks - now, I don't know if this is sacrilegious talk but if I decided not to go to Uluru - where else would people suggest I go? I don't want to be controversial but what is there to do at Uluru, I know it is very spiritual and awesomely large but whilst I can walk I do have a problem with my foot and it might be unwise to spend a couple of days trekking.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

Port Douglas would be great at that time of year. Does your issue with your foot I last you swimming? Experience the Great Barrier Reef instead and the world heritag Dainterr rainforest

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,048 posts
123 reviews
10. Re: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock

If you have a foot problem, you are wise to skip Uluru. To really appreciate both Uluru and Kata Tjuta, you need to be walking around them.

+1 for the recommendation to go to Port Douglas to see the GBR. While I think the best way to experience the GBR is by snorkeling, many non-swimmers enjoy seeing the GBR on trips offered by Quicksilver (Port Douglas) or Reef Magic (Cairns). Both boats go to a fixed pontoon on the Outer Reef and you can snorkel or dive or see the GBR without getting wet via glass bottom boat rides, semi-submersible rides and an underwater viewing area.

Reply to: Sydney, Gold Coast and Ayers Rock
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted