We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping unaccompanied luggage to Aus without import duties?

Honolulu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Shipping unaccompanied luggage to Aus without import duties?

I'm an American going to Australia on a tourist visa. I want to send a large bag via a shipping service with a bunch of stuff inside that's worth more than $1,000. It's mostly sports equipment and clothes. Taking it with me on my flight isn't possible due to a recent knee surgery.

How do I do this without paying import duties? All the stuff inside is mine, used, and I obviously don't intend to resell it or anything.

It seems that "unaccompanied personal effects" that can bypass import duties is not for tourist visas, but rather permanent residents and the like.

No duties are required for a total value under $1,000 AUD, but the contents of the bag exceed that (maybe $2,000 AUD?)

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
4 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,393 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping unaccompanied luggage to Aus without import duties?

You need to read all that info again ... there are no duties on used personal items. Duty is applied to new items and only in certain instances.

Personal items are eg: clothing, toiletries, books and a reasonable amount of jewellery and electronic goods.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 05:57
Honolulu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping unaccompanied luggage to Aus without import duties?

Do you have a link? Nothing in the documentation mentions anything about used personal effects being exempt for a tourist.

The only thing is valuation - if under $1000 then it's exempt.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,393 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping unaccompanied luggage to Aus without import duties?

How can one suitcase of second hand clothing be worth $2,000? Because that's how they value it ... as second hand used clothing ... it is not valued at it's new rate unless it is obviously unworn and has tags attached.

So I assume it's a suitcase full of clothing for you that is used, not a bag full of unworn Manolo Blahnik's?

It is the same for travelers or returning citizens ... https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/busi/cargo-su…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping unaccompanied luggage to Aus without import duties?

this is the form you are supposed to complete - the declaration talks about goods owned for less than 12 months see section 5

https:/…B534e.pdf

Our customs are not concerned about a bag of second hand/personal clothes.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 07:17
Reply to: Shipping unaccompanied luggage to Aus without import duties?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted