We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne itinerary

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne itinerary

I'm at the stage of planning for my trip to Melbourne from 1st of August to the 13th of August. Will be travelling in a group of 4 adults. My drafted plan is as the following:

Day 1- Arrive at 7pm. Staying at CBD

Day 2 - QVM, St paul Cathedral, Federation Square, Hosier Lane, State Library

Day 3- Brighton Beach, St Kilda

Day 4- South Melbourne Market , DFO

Day 5- Pick rented car and head to Yarra Valley > Australian Rainbow trout Farm (if time allows) >stop by at a winery on the way to airbnb at Healesville

Day 6- Innocent Bystander, Healesville Santuary, Domaine Chandon , Yarra Valley Chocolateria & Ice cremery, Yarra Valley Dairy

Day 7- Drive to Philip island > Churchill Island Heritage Farm > Penguin Parade at 5pm

Day 8- Koala Conservation > Drive to Mornington > Mornington Peninsula >Overnight at Mornington

Day 9- Drive to Sorrento to Queenscliff (via searoad ferries) > Anglesea/ Lorne for meal > overnight at Appolo Bay

Day 10- Gibson Steps> 12 Apostles > Loch Ard Gorge >Port campbell > (The Arch ,London Bridge,The Grotto - if its still early) > Drive to Melbourne (kindly advised on the highway/route)

Day 11- Melbourne : Return Car rental then head for a Day trip to Mount Buller (for snowboarding)

Day 12- Old Melbourne Goal > Royal Arcade > Botanical Garden

Day 13 - Prepare for departure

Does this itinerary seem reasonable? We are hoping for a chill time without rushing from one place to another.

For day 9, we are considering if we should stay at Anglesea or Apollo Bay

Thank you in advance

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
257 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
St Paul's Cathedral
St Paul's Cathedral
1,195 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Federation Square
Federation Square
2,581 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Hosier Lane
Hosier Lane
1,758 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Brighton Beach
Brighton Beach
659 Reviews
Brighton, Australia
St Kilda
St Kilda
Port Phillip, Australia
South Melbourne Market
South Melbourne Market
791 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
DFO Homebush
DFO Homebush
209 Reviews
Homebush, Australia
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Healesville
Healesville
Yarra Valley, Australia
Yarra Valley Dairy
Yarra Valley Dairy
344 Reviews
Coldstream, Australia
Churchill Island
Churchill Island
426 Reviews
Phillip Island, Australia
Mornington
Mornington
Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Mornington Peninsula
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia
Sorrento
Sorrento
Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Queenscliff
Queenscliff
Victoria, Australia
Anglesea
Anglesea
Victoria, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Loch Ard Gorge
Loch Ard Gorge
735 Reviews
Port Campbell, Australia
London Bridge
London Bridge
69 Reviews
Portsea, Australia
The Grotto
The Grotto
224 Reviews
Port Campbell, Australia
Mount Buller
Mount Buller
Victoria, Australia
Royal Arcade
Royal Arcade
224 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
6 replies to this topic
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne itinerary

Great to see you starting your trip in Melbourne itself.

Day 6 looks very busy. Doubt you can fit it all in. Healesville Sanctuary is a full day on its own for me and my family.

Day 9 - have you checked if your rental car is allowed on the ferry? Most are not. And leaving from Mornington to drive to Apollo Bay in August is too far. Consider Aireys Inlet or Lorne instead.

Day 10 will need an overnight stop in Port Campbell or Warrnambool. (There will be whales in Warrny in August.) The GOR needs 3 days and 2 overnight stops in winter when daylight hours are short. A loop from Melbourne is close to 12 hours in the car. Spread over 2 days, that's 6 hours in the car per day. Spread over 3 days it's 4 hours per day which leaves time for sightseeing. Return via Colac and Geelong.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Healesville Sanctuary
Healesville Sanctuary
1,686 Reviews
Healesville, Australia
Mornington Peninsula
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria, Australia
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Warrnambool
Warrnambool
Victoria, Australia
Colac
Colac
Victoria, Australia
Geelong
Geelong
City of Greater Geelong, Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne itinerary

What you plan to do is a bit ambitious especially in August when it is still our winter and the days are shorter.

A couple of things to consider - while the S to Q ferry is a safe trip unless you get prior approval from your rental car company taking the hire car on the ferry is at your risk.

You really need two nights on the GOR with the first night Apollo Bay and the second at either Port Campbell or Warrnambool/Port Fairy there is a lot to see along the GOR and with only one overnight stop you are really rushing it.

Another thing to consider is that in some country areas the risk of animal activity will be high and you need to be close to your accommodation before sunset.

There are a couple of options re returning to Melbourne from Port Campbell. Either backtrack to Lavers Hill and follow the signs to Colac and return via the Princes Highway or alternatively head to the Princes Highway from Port Campbell . PC to Melbourne will take around 4 hours depending on stops with Colac ideal for a pit stop - toilet break.

Good luck with this.

Edit: Snap I've just seen Loki's post.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 14:40
Mentioned in this post
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Warrnambool
Warrnambool
Victoria, Australia
Port Fairy
Port Fairy
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Colac
Colac
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne itinerary

I agree with Loki, a couple of your days are really busy and you’re not going to achieve your chilled laid back idea. In regards to Healsville you’ll probably only fit in the Samctuary and the Chocolaterie at a relaxed pace, or do a highlights trip and cram it all in. I was at the sanctuary on Sunday and we got there at 9.30 and didn’t leave until 2, and we didn’t go to any of the shows and we didn’t spend that long in each section, as I have a membership so can go any time. To do the whole thing and see the bird show (a must) and catch some of the keeper talks it will take most of the day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
297 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne itinerary

To enable more time at Healesville Sanctuary, you should be able to fit in Yarra Valley Dairy on day 5 after the trout farm. Innocent Bystander is also a dinner option.

Mentioned in this post
Healesville Sanctuary
Healesville Sanctuary
1,686 Reviews
Healesville, Australia
Yarra Valley Dairy
Yarra Valley Dairy
344 Reviews
Coldstream, Australia
Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne itinerary

I have taken them into considerations and have spread out the activities of Day 6 with Day 5.

Has anyone here been to the Australian Rainbow Trout Farm? Any experiences to share?

As for the GOR , we have decided to stay another night in Port Campbell before heading back to Melbourne city and omitting Mount Buller from our plan due to time constraints.

Once again thank you for the great replies!

Mentioned in this post
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Mount Buller
Mount Buller
Victoria, Australia
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne itinerary

You'll be able to fit in some extra things on day 5. I haven't been to the trout farm you mention but I have been to others. You are pretty much guaranteed to catch a fish or three. The problem is that you have to buy all that you catch, and it's really easy to get carried away and catch more than you can eat!

Good decision with the GOR. You won't regret it. Have a great trip!

Reply to: Melbourne itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted