We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

Hi,

I am intending to arrange a road trip with my friends from Singapore to Australia this coming end Dec. As we are planning to countdown in Sydney, hence we are thinking of heading to Melbourne first to visit Great Ocean Road, before arriving Sydney as the last stop. I have some questions that I would like to hear from you all.

1. Is it better to get a return airfare, or we should get open trip instead (2 one way tickets)?

2. Should we consider driving from Melbourne down to Sydney, or take domestic instead?

3. Is it better to stay in hotel, or any airbnb or farm-like stay?

4. What are the places that we should consider visiting, within the 10 days?

5. How hot can the weather go up to during Dec? And will it turn cold during the night?

6. Any recommended agency to rent car in Melbourne? As we don't intend to drive in Sydney. Or is there a need?

Thanks in advance all for your help! :)

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Great Ocean Road
Great Ocean Road
1,313 Reviews
Aireys Inlet, Australia
16 replies to this topic
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

>>trip to Sydney and Melbourne<<

>>I am intending to arrange a road trip _ thinking of heading to Melbourne first to visit Great Ocean Road, before arriving Sydney as the last stop<<

>>Should we consider driving from Melbourne down to Sydney, or take domestic instead?<<

You need at least 3 days for the Great Ocean Road so I don't really see how you can fit in a worthwhile road trip between Melbourne and Sydney too, and also have enough time in those cities.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Great Ocean Road
Great Ocean Road
1,313 Reviews
Aireys Inlet, Australia
The Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road
6,126 Reviews
Torquay, Australia
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,386 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

It would make a better use of your time to fly into one and out of the other

You do not have enough days to do the Sydney -Melbourne and the GOR and driving. Plus you will have one way rental fee.

Place to stay, your issue is peak holiday season and place have min nights stay. The GOR is busy. NYE is busy in Sydney. Although some hotels due to greed I believe were not fully booked.

Other places, to visit , you do not have enough

Compare to Singapore it will be mild weather the hot generally kicks in in late Jan.

Sydney is a nightmare for a car and Melbourne has better public transport. The only reason to have a car is if you are driving the GOR.Can not help with rental cars

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

If you want to do NYE I. Sydney, you need to decide how very soon. If you’re going to do a cruise or a GC,teed event, you need to book soon. If you want to go to a free viewing spot be aware there will be no alcohol allowed and you’ll need to get there very early in the day and stay there all day. Some accommodation impose a minimum imum number of nights stay for NYE. Mine was 5 nights. Anywith with a view will be astronomical in cost. Anything close to the harbour will also be very expensive.

Budget is a huge factor in deciding how to experience NYE. How much are you willing to budget for an event and accomodation? Farm stay might work on the GOR but not practical for the CBD in either city

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
260 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Oz
Level Contributor
14,272 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

Hi,

>>I am intending to arrange a road trip with my friends from Singapore to Australia<<

Really ! I'd like to see that.

1. How deep are your pockets ?

2. Fly unless you have a week for the trip.

3. Depends.

4. What are your interests ?

5. Where ?

6. Hertz.

Cheers,

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

hmm, looks like it could be a bad idea to travel during NYE period, unless i am willing to pay for all the surcharges.....

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

@johnliston

does that means i should stay put perhaps with just an entire melbourne stay, or sydney stay?

or otherwise, if i opt for a domestic transfer back to SYD after the 3 days GOR visit, that is fine as well?

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

@ozrcflyer

1. How deep are your pockets ?

probably considering up to USD2k, to include the meals, land transport, and hotel accomodation?

do-able?

2. Fly unless you have a week for the trip.

how much is a domestic flight cost to n fro between SYD and MEL?

3. Depends.

which kinda accommodation is more cost saving, and worth an experience?

4. What are your interests ?

sight-seeing, and food exploration.... not so much of shopping

5. Where ?

weather in both melbourne and sydney

6. Hertz.

cool... got it!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
Melbourne Airport
Melbourne Airport
Tullamarine, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

Do you want to visit at New Year and are you prepared to pay extra for that?

Or do you just want to visit Australia and can visit at a different time to get more value for your money?

What sorts of things are you interesting in seeing?

In 10 days you have time for at least 2 destinations. Your posts so far imply you are interested in coastal scenery and farm-stays. Your latest post implies that you are not particularly committed to Melbourne or Sydney. We really need more than hints about what it is you want. I have some ideas but I hesitate to post them until I feel a good two way conversation is happening, there is too much asking about what 'should' be done and not enough information. There is no 'one size fits all' answer so the more information you give us the better the advice we can give you.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

>>probably considering up to USD2k, to include the meals, land transport, and hotel accomodation? do-able?<<

I don't know offhand, especially in foreign currency and with variables such as how expensive your preferences are, that sort of question requires a little research on your part, but the expression >>How deep are your pockets<< indicates what you are looking at is expensive. (Btw OZ lol at the road trip, I hadn't picked that up, I think James Bond has a car for that.) You mention >>cost saving<< so perhaps since you have not actually expressed a desire to celebrate NYE in Australia there are more cost-effective times to visit. Autumn might suit you for food and harvest activities and festivals? Sightseeing is not an interest as such, when people travel anywhere they sightsee the sightseeing sights, it's not really information which helps us to understand why you chose your destinations and what you want to see there and what we can suggest to help you, so more detail would be appreciated?

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days trip to Sydney and Melbourne in end Dec 2018

iBaby63 - what are you most wanting to achieve from this trip? Do you want to experience New Years Eve in Sydney with the big firework display given that it is quite an expensive undertaking if you want to do it well, or would you consider a different and hopefully less costly plan?

The road trip from Melbourne to Sydney along the coast is very busy at this time of year you want to do this trip. Minimum stays will be in place not only at accommodation places but also at the caravan parks and that is going to impact on what you can do and when.

It is important to understand what tends to happen in Australia at this time of the year. Many places of business shut down for two weeks at this time of year which forces a lot of people to take their holidays at this time. From Sydney, people head for the two coasts - the South Coast and the North Coast. Some people holiday in the same location every year, they have a standing booking either at a holiday house or a caravan park. So this means traffic heading out of the cities can be quite backed up.

We can help you plan an awesome trip, but my number one suggestion for these dates would be to give the coasts a miss and head inland instead.

Canberra would be my number one suggestion if you choose to go inland without changing your dates as quite a lot of people leave there and head to the coast. It is a great time to visit because many of the tourist attractions will be uncrowded, you can usually find accommodation at good prices and without minimum stays, they have some great farm stays nearby. But you have to decide if there is enough there that interests you to make this worth your while.

My second suggestion if that does not appeal and you want to stick with the coasts would be to change the timing of your trip to later in January or even February if possible. February after school goes back is probably the better time if you want to avoid traffic and crowds. School goes back in NSW and Victoria on Tuesday, 29 January 2019.

If you want to stick with your dates and brave the coastal crowds, my advice would be forget the road trip and pick one coastal destination, find some good accommodation there and book it for as long as you can within those dates.Keep in mind it will be busy, and you want to try and pick the best dates and times to travel in order to avoid traffic. Again we can help with that when you have a better idea of what you will do. :)

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Canberra
Canberra