We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Barrier Reef in December 2018

4 posts
Great Barrier Reef in December 2018

Looking for everyone's input please!

My family including my mom, my god mother, and I are heading to Australia and New Zealand for 2 weeks. I plan to spend 3 days in Sydney and then hoping to spend 4 days in The Great Barrier Reef. I am looking for suggestions on where to go to. I have read about Cairns, Port Douglas, Hamilton Island, Whitsunday Islands, Airlie Beach, Lady Elliot Island, and Heron Island, but have no idea what this all means in terms of which island being most suitable for my family and the time of the year. Although, at this moment, Whitsunday Islanads and Carins are highly appealing.

We are looking to head to the reef the second week of December. For my family, we are looking for a place where they are great places to stay. We would love to do some sailing out in the water, and some snorkeling. My mom and god mother are older; therefore not as interested in the adventure side. Something scenic, beautiful, and where the water is blue and crystal clear.

I understand that December - March is wet season, but what are my limitations? Will early December still be an okay time?

Please help :)

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,905 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Great Barrier Reef in December 2018

Hamilton Island or Port Douglas would be the choice. Hamilton is a resort island with a airport/marina/golf and more about relaxing about/sailing. Snorkeling is limited.

PD is a small resort town and you need a day trip to to the outer reef. Plus access to the rainforest.

It is stinger season so no swimming at beaches.

Lady Elliot Island is a eco resort and is probably booked out in December.

4 posts
2. Re: Great Barrier Reef in December 2018

Thank you!

When you say stringer season, does that mean no swimming at any of the beaches?

I would love to visit Whitsunday beach and whitehaven beach. Can I not go into the waters?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
830 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Great Barrier Reef in December 2018

You can, but its highly recommended you use a stinger suit between october -march...

Stingers in the tropical waters of northern queensland can be deadly..

Reply to: Great Barrier Reef in December 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted