We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

If you are looking to book a campervan in Australia, do NOT book a Hippie Camper (through Appollo).

Read on as to why...

I travelled East Coast Australia with my husband for a month in August and Hippie Camper was a bad choice because:

1) Although initially cheap, they don't tell you that you have to fill up the petrol tank everyday

2) The 'deluxe' version comes with paper thin sleeping bags and linen that is all different colours and styles, basically stuff that people don't want and have left behind

3) If your travelling in winter like we were, you get condensation inside so everything gets damp and its freezing at night so you have to wear all items of clothing to bed as the sleeping bags are useless

4) If anything goes wrong, the only way you can get to them is by ringing their sales phone number (surprise surprise) and even then they are rediculously unhelpful

5) We arrived at Sydney and they refused to give us a lift to the airport (30 second drive away but a 15 minute walk with backpacks)

I could go on, but I think you get the point!

Book a Jucy instead, they are lovely.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,281 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

It's not unusual for businesses to have a low-cost option. For Apollo, this is it. You get what you pay for.

And campervanning isn't a bed of roses. What did you expect?

Luigi

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

You've completely missed the whole point Luigu, Hippie Campers are supposed to be cheap, but when you add on a tank of fuel everyday, it's not cheap anymore and your be better off booking a Jucy camper that is more efficient with the fuel and overall more cost effective.

They also don't leak condensation onto your face as a wake up call in the morning.

You should read things properly before you reply.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,281 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

OK, got it now: you didn't go cheap enough.

Mooloolaba...
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

;-)))), Ah you make me laugh luigi

Oscar

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
190 reviews
5. Re: Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

Have I missed something but a 30 second drive takes 15 minutes walking. Knowing the airport the times would be the other way around.

Petrol if you drive, of course you have to fill up afterwards, or did Juicy fill it up daily for you?

Condensation common in tents and closed up campervans, generally due to lack of ventilation and a temperature drop.

Sleeping bags yes terrible especially when you have a polar type bag and you are camping where it is warm....you can get very hot. If you are travelling around during the winter months and probably inland where it does get colder at night wouldn't you bring warm clothes for night sleeping. Even a couple of layers of newspapers on top of the bag can make you warmer,.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,552 posts
150 reviews
6. Re: Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

Surely the amount of fuel you need ot put in a vehicle will also depend on how far you drive, the weight of the vehicle and the size and type of engine. Convince me that a Jucy camper meets all of of these criteria on the same basis and that the rental cost are comparable, I might then agree with your complaint.

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

Do you all work for Apollo?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,281 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

No, but nor are we utterly devoid of common sense. :)

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

Mmmmmm, I have my doubts!

Does expecting someone to pick up the phone when I call and having a dry nights sleep when I shelled out nearly £1000 mean I have no common sense? When I booked with Apollo, maybe it does!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
21,284 posts
113 reviews
10. Re: Do NOT book a Hippie campervan (through Apollo)

Don't come the raw prawn, chanty. Cheap campers = older vehicles = less comfort = less fuel efficiency etc.

No sympathy here.