We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Intl to Jetstar Domestic connection

California
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
United Intl to Jetstar Domestic connection

I need some advice and insight to this please. We are booked on a connecting flight SFO-SYD-HOB with United as our international carrier and Jetstar the connection to Tasmania. My husband booked it using United points and we have business class upgrades.

I had a good look at the itinerary the other day and realized we only have an hour 40 minute layover in Sydney. It's all on one itinerary/ticket. Is this enough time? I realize they are in two different terminals and we need to take a shuttle after clearing CQI. Our flight lands at 9:05a and Jetstar departs at 10:45am.

I called United and they told me minimum connecting time is 75 minutes at Sydney. I kind of think they are out of their mind. They will allow me to change the Jetstar flight to 2pm for a $300USD fee per person. Thanks, but no thanks because I can book the later flight myself for far less and personally, I'd book the Virgin Australia flight that leaves at 2:05pm based on reputation and still save money.

Any advice? I realize if we miss the connection we would be put on the next available Jetstar flight - key word being "available". :/ What is the procedure to get from one terminal to the other and how long will it take?

22 replies to this topic
Adelaide
Level Contributor
118 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: United Intl to Jetstar Domestic connection

I think you will be cutting it really fine. By the time you get off the international flight, collect luggage go through customs/immigration then make your way from international to domestic terminal and then have to check in luggage for tassie flight that it will not be enough time. Also jetstar security point at sydney domestic airport moves a lot slower then the qantas domestis security from my many years of experience with both. Not to mention if there are any delays with landing ect. You would have been better to stay overnight in sydney and fly out the next day to tassie or get a later flight to hobart if available.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: United Intl to Jetstar Domestic connection

The discussions and information given are very detailed and informative but also very technical. As I see it, the situation boils down to;

You might make the connection BUT.....

If you miss the connection United should step in and sort it out BUT.....

The problem is that they are very big buts and not something you want to deal with after a 13hr flight and will definitely give you a bad start to a good holiday.

Reply to: United Intl to Jetstar Domestic connection
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted