We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mardi Gras 2018

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Mardi Gras 2018

Hi all, we're coming to Sydney in March and will arrive on the day of the Mardi Gras parade. I wish I could say I planned this but it's actually a very happy accident!

Our (international) flight arrives in at 4pm on the day of, so I am conscious we're not going to be there 'early' enough to get a good standing spot on the side of the road! Is there somewhere we can book at to watch the Parade? All the official Mardi Gras tickets are sold out :(

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

I just checked the MG web site. Unfortunately there are no VIP seating left. All the better viewing spots along Oxford St will be taken up very early. If you arrive off an international flight at 4pm, you will be lucky to reach your hotel by 6pm. You will hit the peak crowd time, so I can’t see any easy way for you to get a good advantage point.

By the way, where is your hotel?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

Yes I know the MG ones are sold out... was wondering if there may be restaurants or bars along the route that you can book at?

We've booked an AirBnB on Sussex St :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
541 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

I believe most of the restaurants and bars are either holding private parties or are already sold out (it's the 40th anniversary). Even if someone on this forum can't suggest a better option, it is still worth walking up to the parade route, even if you don't get the best view as you will still get plenty of atmosphere.

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

Hey. Assuming I'll be watching the parade from the street... is it an alcohol free zone or can you drink?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,763 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

Street drinking is against the law.

…nsw.gov.au/community/…alcohol-restrictions

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,833 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

There are sections along the route that are not alcohol free zones but you do need to be careful as many parts have no drinking at certain times.

However, during the parade the entire area is alcohol free and drinking is only permitted in certain areas. I think from memory one is in Flinders St and another in Taylor Sq.

Some of the bars and clubs along Oxford St sell party tickets too. One I can think of is the Beauchamp... not sure if it has anything this year..

Sydney
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mardi Gras 2018

The route stretches from the intersection of College/Oxford St out to Moore Park, so plenty of room to see the parade without booking anything. The crowds get thinner out towards the Moore Park end. A lot of Surry Hills is an alcohol free zone. Its a long way to walk from your location but I don't think the parade starts until about 7ish anyway. By the time you clear the airport then get stuck in the inbound traffic, change and walk down you will probably be somewhere around the start point anyway.

Reply to: Mardi Gras 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted