We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve - Milsons Point

Cambridge
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve - Milsons Point

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on a good place to go to watch the fireworks that maybe the crowds do not know about?

I have seen some info on the Olympic Pool - its a family fun night and I wondered if this is a good spot to watch the fireworks from. Ideally we do not want to be hanging around all day but also want to make sure we can see the fireworks (we are coming from the UK) I have heard some people say that they have nipped along the roads and walked onto the grounds of apartment blocks and managed to watch from there but we do not want to get into any trouble!

Any suggestions welcome

Thank you

Jo

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve - Milsons Point

The pool is great! However it is only open until after the 9pm fireworks. Also, you cannot take glass into the pool so you need to be creative about your drinks. Think metal flasks etc - G&T worked well. But it is fun and if you have kids even better as they don't get bored with the waiting.

Aftewards we walk home and wait til the midnight fireworks but after 9pm you have a good opportunity of staking out your next spot. You can stay at Milsons Point or walk in either direction to one of the parks further along. Accept that the crowds know about all the spots - but there is plenty of space even a few hundred metres from right under the bridge and from 9-12 you have plenty of time to wander a little way. One of the advantages of the crowds is that you won't get that 'what am I doing down a dark street in a city I don't know' feeling.

Pearl Beach...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve - Milsons Point

You could also try Cremorne Point - catch the ferry over from Circular Quay to cremorne Point Wharf. - excellent advantage point too.

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,619 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Toronto
Level Contributor
205 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve - Milsons Point

I guess I'm missing the obvious. For some reason I decided to glance at the satellite pictures of Milson's Point, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of green space for sitting (yet the gov't website says it will accommodate 50,000 people for NYE).

The gov't website says the entrance that night will be off Fitzroy St. That is convenient if you are taking the train to Milson's Point. But does that mean if you take the ferry over to Milson's Point that you have to walk all the way up to Fitzroy St? Maybe we should not bother taking the ferry then.

Regardless, I still can't figure out where they would be directing people to go. There seems to be a small strip of green, just as you get off the ferry. And then another slightly larger bit just west of Waruda St, but hardly enough for 50,000 people. And the corner just south of Kirribilli House has a swimming pool and trees (is that location used also - is it government property)?

Anyway, please help me out here. I thought I had it all planned out, but now I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. I'd be disappointed coming all the way and missing it because I couldn't find the location. I'm going to sacrifice most of my day for this, so I want it to count. I need to find a place where I can sit on the grass - I can't stand for long hours. Thanks for your help.

Toronto
Level Contributor
205 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve - Milsons Point

Okay, I think I'm getting a better understanding now. I see the green area just west of Waruda St is called Bradfield Park, and it is considered a separate vantage point, accommodating 2000 people. Though there are no toilet facilities there.

And I can see now that the view from the satellite image is shaded. So there is indeed a strip of land just east of the bridge that is not visible in the satellite image, and I'm guessing that is what is being referred to. It's much clearer now.

So, will we be able to take the ferry over, and just get off and find a spot, or will we indeed have to walk all the way up to Fitzroy St and then back down again to gain entrance to the area closer to the water? Thanks for your help.

5. Re: New Years Eve - Milsons Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 12:17