We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Hi,

I was searching for a discounted family pass to Taronga Zoo and observed that there is a zoo pass for 140.00 for a family of four.

I noticed that i can work out a better deal by getting a return ferry ticket (with family fare deal) which amounts to approx 26 AUD.

The family ticket for 2 adults + 2kids for the Zoo is 108.80. This comes to 135 AUD.

I don't see why someone would advertise a discounted pass which is 5 AUD more expensive than the individual ticket(s)? Beats me !!

I agree 5 AUD is not a lot but when say 1000 families (say in a year) use this ticket, the net loss is 5000 AUD.

Thanks

Manglu

Mentioned in this post
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,862 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

You might be able to get a further discount with your motoring club member ship, or there maybe a discount in some of the tourist brochures you find at a tourist info centre.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

The only thing I can think of is that the discounted family ticket you get at the zoo may not contain the ski safari. That would make sense re the price discrepancy and I do not know the answer. All I can see when I do read the info that the inclusion of the ski safari is pointed out. Perhaps you can email them to clarify.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Hi Xian Traveller,

Thanks.

I noticed that (the Sky safari).

The website for sky safari (australia-sydney.net/safari_cable_cart.html) states the following:

The Sky Safari is a special feature of the Taronga Zoo, which is

located on the waterfront on Sydney Harbour.

This form of transportation allows visitors to get an aerial view of the

zoo. A round trip ride on this cable car is included in the zoo’s general admissions ticket.

Based on this, i concluded that the Sky safari is included in the ticket that i could buy @ the Zoo.

I will drop a note to the Zoo and seek their clarification(s)

Thanks

Manglu

Mentioned in this post
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,862 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Note the wording - "general" admissions ticket - not Family discount?

Its been 12 months since I've been to Taronga so I do not remember. Also I did not use the ski safari as I drove there and did not arrive by ferry which is right down the bottom of a mega hill!! Let us all know what they say to put us out of our misery.

Are you a member of RACV - they have a good discount which you can purchase online?

Edited: 03 December 2010, 11:15
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Just phoned Taronga Zoo - the girl on the other end said that the discounted family pass does include the ski safari. I pointed out the pricing issue re Zoo pass and she did not seem to be aware of this. I am confused too.

Mentioned in this post
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,862 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

The reason is that very few people are lucky enough to live at Circular Quay. For everyone else, they have to catch a train or bus into the city, which would cost more than $5 return for a whole family.

The Sydney Ferries website doesn't mention anything about trains and buses, but you used to be able to buy a 'zoolink' ticket at any CityRail station.

Edited: 03 December 2010, 17:20
Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,559 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Ferries
Sydney Ferries
18,508 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Hi Xian Traveller,

Thanks and yes i am a RACV member.

RACV's web site states that tickets are available at 98.50 but when i spoke to them they don't seem to offer them these days.

I in fact pointed the shop to the website link, but the system does not provide them the options to sell this ticket so i will get the ticket from Zoo.

Thanks

Manglu

8. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 12:19