We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Hi,

I was searching for a discounted family pass to Taronga Zoo and observed that there is a zoo pass for 140.00 for a family of four.

I noticed that i can work out a better deal by getting a return ferry ticket (with family fare deal) which amounts to approx 26 AUD.

The family ticket for 2 adults + 2kids for the Zoo is 108.80. This comes to 135 AUD.

I don't see why someone would advertise a discounted pass which is 5 AUD more expensive than the individual ticket(s)? Beats me !!

I agree 5 AUD is not a lot but when say 1000 families (say in a year) use this ticket, the net loss is 5000 AUD.

Thanks

Manglu

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
105 reviews
1. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

You might be able to get a further discount with your motoring club member ship, or there maybe a discount in some of the tourist brochures you find at a tourist info centre.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

The only thing I can think of is that the discounted family ticket you get at the zoo may not contain the ski safari. That would make sense re the price discrepancy and I do not know the answer. All I can see when I do read the info that the inclusion of the ski safari is pointed out. Perhaps you can email them to clarify.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
3. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Hi Xian Traveller,

Thanks.

I noticed that (the Sky safari).

The website for sky safari (australia-sydney.net/safari_cable_cart.html) states the following:

The Sky Safari is a special feature of the Taronga Zoo, which is

located on the waterfront on Sydney Harbour.

This form of transportation allows visitors to get an aerial view of the

zoo. A round trip ride on this cable car is included in the zoo’s general admissions ticket.

Based on this, i concluded that the Sky safari is included in the ticket that i could buy @ the Zoo.

I will drop a note to the Zoo and seek their clarification(s)

Thanks

Manglu

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Note the wording - "general" admissions ticket - not Family discount?

Its been 12 months since I've been to Taronga so I do not remember. Also I did not use the ski safari as I drove there and did not arrive by ferry which is right down the bottom of a mega hill!! Let us all know what they say to put us out of our misery.

Are you a member of RACV - they have a good discount which you can purchase online?

Edited: 03 December 2010, 11:15
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
105 reviews
5. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Just phoned Taronga Zoo - the girl on the other end said that the discounted family pass does include the ski safari. I pointed out the pricing issue re Zoo pass and she did not seem to be aware of this. I am confused too.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

The reason is that very few people are lucky enough to live at Circular Quay. For everyone else, they have to catch a train or bus into the city, which would cost more than $5 return for a whole family.

The Sydney Ferries website doesn't mention anything about trains and buses, but you used to be able to buy a 'zoolink' ticket at any CityRail station.

Edited: 03 December 2010, 17:20
Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
7. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

Hi Xian Traveller,

Thanks and yes i am a RACV member.

RACV's web site states that tickets are available at 98.50 but when i spoke to them they don't seem to offer them these days.

I in fact pointed the shop to the website link, but the system does not provide them the options to sell this ticket so i will get the ticket from Zoo.

Thanks

Manglu

8. Re: Why would a family buy a Zoo Pass (Taronga)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 12:19