We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Territory last 3 weeks May 2019

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Territory last 3 weeks May 2019

Hi - this will be our first visit to Australia and before we start booking flights and planning there are just a couple of things.

We were intending to hire a car in Darwin and go to the following over approximately 2 weeks - Litchfield, Kakadu, Nitmiluk and Ulura. Initially I can see a lot of negative reviews about car hire companies but we will take out the all singing all dancing including zero excess but we are more concerned about the weather/rain and condition of the roads (no 4WD) to get to see these amazing places.

Thanks - Jane and Michael

Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Kakadu National Park
Kakadu National Park
Top End, Australia
4 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
16,287 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Territory last 3 weeks May 2019

Without 4WD, you are restricted to sealed road. You are not allowed on any unsealed roads with rental cars, except to get to a car park that might not have sealed road to it. There are attractions in Kakadu that don't have sealed roads. Locals and other contributors hopefully chrome in wiht more details. The rest can be done with 2WD.

BTW, I have been to Kakadu twice with 2WD. I don't feel that I missed out on much by not having 4WD. Then again, without seeing it, how do I know what I missed out on.

2 weeks is going got be quite rushed if you want to go all the way to Uluru. However, that is doable if you don't plan to drive back to Darwin.

One way car hire fees might be very high especially if you want to drop the car off in Yulara (Uluru). It would most likely cost less to stop it off in Alice Springs.

Mentioned in this post
Kakadu National Park
Kakadu National Park
Top End, Australia
Uluru
Uluru
3,666 Reviews
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
Yulara
Yulara
Red Centre, Australia
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Territory last 3 weeks May 2019

If you are flying in from overseas then you will be arriving just before sunrise and for your first day you will want to take it easy, especially if coming from an English winter. Without knowing what your interests are i can only make general suggestions.

Two days Darwin, easy to get around. Litchfield NP 1 day return trip to Darwin. Berry Springs Wildlife Park another day tour. Kakadu three days, most places you can visit with a 2 WD car but as May is just after the Wet season there could still be road damage or road repairs. Exit via the southern end and go to Katherine say 2 days. Now you can either return to Darwin (and visit Litchfield NP on the return) and fly to Alice Springs. Or you could drive to Alice Springs allow 2 days, more if you find some places of interest along the way.

Alice Springs hire another car, 2 days or 3 if you want to visit the Desert Wildlife Park then to Uluru and also Kings Canyon 3 days then return to Alice Springs and fly out.

You will need to cost the different options as the savings in no return fees for the car if you fly to Alice Springs may cover the cost of your ticket, and many/all rental companies have a daily allowance which you will exceed driving south.

You will have to work out what you want to see so as to fit everything in the few days you have. As the humid weather may still be hanging around the end of May you may find the weather very tiring and saps your energy so the amount of driving you are doing is too tiring.

Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Kakadu National Park
Kakadu National Park
Top End, Australia
Katherine
Katherine
Top End, Australia
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Uluru
Uluru
3,666 Reviews
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
756 Reviews
Red Centre, Australia
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Territory last 3 weeks May 2019

I think LS has the right idea- do a loop Darwin to Darwin and then fly. If you drive to Alice and then Uluru you will be spending about 1000more kms extra driving that could be sightseeing in the right places.

Once you get to Kakadu you can do a nice tour in the wet that goes to falls etc and has a specific wet season itinerary.

Katherine - you may find the hot springs just open, cruises on the gorge will be operating and the caves open. Walks like Southern Rockhole will be great at that time of year if you like some walks. The best of the top end is seen by walks not just touring from the car window.

You could allow three days in Darwin and adding in things like a Tiwi day tour, evening cruise, the Garralalang festival is on in Darwin then as well.

Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Uluru
Uluru
3,666 Reviews
Kakadu National Park
Kakadu National Park
Top End, Australia
Katherine
Katherine
Top End, Australia
Warks
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Territory last 3 weeks May 2019

Hi Jane and Michael! We are slightly behind you in planning a very similar itinerary probably just into June 2019, so although we can't offer advice we are keen to read your posts and responses! Are you going to fly into Darwin from the UK?

This will be our first trip to Australia also, and like you we are planning to spend our time and budget in the Northern Territory which looks stunning. We look forward to following your progress!

Carole and Pete

Edited: 18 June 2018, 14:01
Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Reply to: Northern Territory last 3 weeks May 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;