We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Darwin, what to do what to see? Help please...

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Darwin, what to do what to see? Help please...

Hi all,

We are planning to spend 3 full days, Saturday - Monday in Darwin and wondering what we can do in that short amount of time.

We are not into museum or garden, but am wondering if we have time to go to either Katherine Gorge or Litchfield in one day. Also does anyone know any good tour company that you can recommend for that?

I've already planned to visit the Mindil market on Sunday and maybe take a one day tour on Saturday to somewhere, so any recommendation is greatly appreciated. I am also thinking of taking a one day or half day city tour. Will I be better off using a tour company or would I be better of using the public transport?

Thanks!

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Darwin, what to do what to see? Help please...

For the day city tour I would suggest using the Tour Tub which is a hop on hop off mini bus which goes around all of the sites. There is also the Duckabout cruise which is a big bus thing (open topped) which goes on the road then into the water, so it is half water cruise and half road.

You can definately go to Litchfield or Katherine Gorge. My pick would be Litchfield, and you could go as a tour or hire a small car for a day - it is definately doable.

Lou

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Darwin, what to do what to see? Help please...

You can do litchfield in one day. There are a number of waterfalls in the national park. I have a toddler and a baby and can't do too much walking, so Litchfield was perfect for us, as we don't need to do much walking to get to the attractions.

Florence falls - short stroll to a viewing platform and 400m walk (includes 135 steps) to the base of the waterfalls. You can have a swim there. I would highly recommend to walk down to the base of the Florence falls, it was well worth it.

Buley waterhole - 80m walk. You can also swim there.

Tolmer falls - 400m to a viewing platform

Wangi falls - 50m to a platform at the base of the waterfalls.

So, you should have no problem doing all these in one day.

If you drive a 2wd like me, you can only come through bachelor, as the road from berry springs is for 4wd only

For the other day, you can do the yellow river cruise at kakadu. That gives you a taste of kakadu if you are push for time. Then you can perhaps do a short walk or do a jumping croc cruise after that.

Katherine gorge is nice but is a fair way down, it is better if you can stay one night down south. but since you have to go to market on Sunday, it may not be feasible. If you do decide to drive down, then I would recommend you to stay 1 night at mataranka to visit the natural springs.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Darwin, what to do what to see? Help please...

Hi

As the others have said Litchfield makes a great day trip from Darwin. It does take all day so that could be your Sat trip.

I would definitely not do Kakadu or Katherine as a day tour - you would spend far too much time driving and see very little. But if you are interested in a cruise you can do a wetland cruise at Corroboree Billabong

http://www.wetlandcruises.com.au/ or a jumping crocodile cruise. The first is more natural.

In Darwin check out Crocosaurus Cove, fish feeding at Doctors Gully, or a harbour cruise. The half day city tour is a good idea as well.

When are you coming? Mindil Beach markets start up again around end of April (25th I think).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Darwin, what to do what to see? Help please...

What about the Aboriginal walking tour in Darwin by Robert mills? I loved it and a great insight into the Darwin surrounds.

darwin
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Darwin, what to do what to see? Help please...

Hi there, yes the trip to Litchfield is an easy one, simply head out along the highway until you see a sign the the township of Batchelor, head to their visitor information centre they give you a tourist map to follow. The crocodile cruise is awesome $25 per person at the moment on tv. The weather is cool and no humidity, I have straight hair for a couple months yaay. Next to the Mindil Markets is the Darwin Museum a 15minute coastal walk on a safe walkway, with the art gallery next door and across the boat access road is the famous Darwin Ski Club a big cruisy outdoor drinking spot with a pool and restaurant, often a band and plastic table and chairs spread across the beach front grassy area to watch the tropical setting sun. I would start the Saturday with breakfast at Parap markets, beautiful asian foods, quality coffees, crafts, art etc its 5mins from the cbd just off the stuart highway on your way to Litchfield. Coolalinga rural markets another great stop 20mins from town for a quick look at what Darwin Locals like (seconds past Coolalinga shops on the right hand side). On Sunday is Nightcliff markets they are also very good and take a pretty coastal drive around the suburb as you leave, maybe plan to get out and walk along the magnificant stretch of beach at nightcliff, if you dont get to the beach much in June where you live. Darwins great, $20 all you can eat sushi in Cullenbay or across the road $35 seafood smorgasbord also fresh and fine, see a movie a Deckchair cinemas in the city an outdoor venue, very nostalgic, careful possums visit your feet in the dark sometimes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Darwin, what to do what to see? Help please...

Thanks everyone,

We went with Wallaroos tour to Litchfield and it was fabulous.... The swim at Wangi falls was really nice and refreshing.

I highly recommend the tour as it also took use on the jumping crocodile cruise where we got so close with massive crocs. The tour ended with a champagne sunset in Fannie Bay.

We are heading off to the Fish Feeding and Mindil sunset market tonight...

Thanks for alll of the great advice.

7. Re: 3 days in Darwin, what to do what to see? Help please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 14:16